Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/12/05 09:04 PM
Kool-Aid Kantina membership

Alright, I want to start taking names of who's on board right now ... 12-0 baby!!! Enough of this 8-3, or 9-2 talk. Leave that for the nuts in Ohio, and Harvard wanna-bes in Ann Arbor (after we beat both of them soundly)...

We'll have a little get together to kick off the season, and again before home games. Don't miss the chance to sign up now ... those who wait until we play tOSU will be subject to fraternity style hazing rituals and the like.

So far it's obviously:
Walt04
MrHondo
GKline

stickies
(Tight End)
08/13/05 10:21 AM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina membership

Quote:

Enough of this 8-3, or 9-2 talk. Leave that for the nuts

I resemble...er, resent , that remark.

nittany_ranger
(Walk On)
08/13/05 12:48 PM

I've just tattooed the Kool-Aid dude on my calf and will knock you to the ground as I barrel my way onto the bandwagon! It's time we take it to these Big Ten chumps and productively score more points than all opponents and reach a lofty 12-0! Let's roll brothers...

joe
(Split End)
08/13/05 01:13 PM

i`m with you all....have been thinking they would go 12-0 for a couple of months..but was afraid they put me in a white jacket..but now i can blame it on the kool-aid

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
08/14/05 09:21 AM

Twelve and Oh, Baby!

All aboard!

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
08/14/05 03:55 PM

Well it looks like the team is on board! as this quote from yesterday's media day practice would indicate:
Quote:

Wrapping up the first week of camp, the Nittany Lions huddled around coach Joe Paterno before heading to the locker room- as usual.

He gave his pep talk, followed by a few claps and cheers - as usual.

Then, before the players broke from the huddle, they raised their white helmets in the air, and that's when the not-so-usual happened.
"Rose Bowl," the Lions shouted before they walked off the field.

Carol
(Quarterback)
08/15/05 06:06 AM

As my father always told us growing up. "Aim high, don't look down".

In August I will always expect them to win out.

Speaking of Kool-Aid, I can have t-shirts printed if anyone is interested, if 15 shirts are ordered it would be $20.

glensidefan
(Defensive Coordinator)
08/15/05 06:10 AM

choo-choo! pasadena bound!

all aboard this train

gkline176
(Free Safety)
08/15/05 06:35 AM

I love the T shirt idea. I would be willing to buy one or two

GK

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/15/05 06:54 AM

I'd be down for a shirt ... I certainly don't own enough Penn State things haha what's one more!

Warner
(Kicker)
08/15/05 07:43 AM

I was raised a Penn Stater and from the time I could reason- at the beginning of the season I was taught to "never underestimate a Penn State team" to my parents that meant - believe an undefeated season is always possible. We weren't *allowed* to consider anything else.

This year I believe it 110%.

ROSE BOWL Bound baby!

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/15/05 10:10 AM

Ranger, we have to find you a Kool-Aid dude outfit and let you run around before the OSU game knocking people on their butts as you yell, "12 and OH, YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"Kool-Aid's here bringin' ya fun. Kool-Aid's got thirst on the run. Get a big, wide, happy, ear-to-ear Kool-Aid smi-i-ile! Cause the biggest smile is a Kool-Aid smile..."

nittany_ranger
(Walk On)
08/15/05 12:44 PM

I'll sharpen my elbows and be ready to rollllllll!!!!!!

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
08/16/05 05:32 AM

For a lotta years I've never seen a season start that I don't expect a great year...& usually figure we can beat everyone on the schedule, unless and until I'm proven wrong. This time of the year is always optimistic & there is no reason it should be different this year.

I do know that, like everybody else here, I'm ready...even bought this years Nike #31 Jersey yesterday. Let's go, already!

PSUdoc90
(Walk On)
08/16/05 06:43 AM

OK, even though I have gone on record with the nutty prediction of 8-3 (see http://www.nittanyfootball.com/columns/lionsden/sub.php?cid=66) I am still willing to go 12-0. Is there any kool aid left???

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/16/05 07:01 AM

Doc, there's ALWAYS Kool-Aid left in the 12-0 Kool-Aid Kantina. Your admittance of being "nutty" with your prediction of 8-3 was penance enough and you are certainly welcome. The nectar is flowing freely. Come drink with your brethren.

He who drinks of this Kool-Aid shall never thirst again (until next season).

gkline176
(Free Safety)
08/16/05 07:08 AM

The true test of this movement will be getting Chas to drink from the Kool Aid fountain. Can it happen? Yes, I think it can.

RoarLions
(Hall of Famer)
08/16/05 08:35 AM

Quote:

The true test of this movement will be getting Chas to drink from the Kool Aid fountain. Can it happen? Yes, I think it can.

No. It can not. Sorry.

Carol
(Quarterback)
08/16/05 08:43 AM

Question who created the Kool-aid design? I need their permission to have shirts printed. As soon as I have I'll post the website were they can be ordered. These are not for profit.

JC in Va
(Hall of Famer)
08/16/05 09:44 AM

I think the originator is thinking the same thing Carol. She wants the proceeds to go to the Centre County Food Bank.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
08/16/05 10:02 AM

Quote:

I think the originator is thinking the same thing Carol. She wants the proceeds to go to the Centre County Food Bank.

Cool, I mean Kool. Are you saying that the person who drew up that Kool-Aid ad campaign of my youth is alive, well, and living somewhere in Centre County? Even so, I think that the "rights" probably belong to Kraft Foods.

Carol
(Quarterback)
08/16/05 01:15 PM

JC my intention was to sell them at cost. If you sell at profit you can't use the Kool aid logo. My son is cleaning up the picture, and trying to get it away from becoming a trademark issue.

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
08/17/05 05:22 AM

Evidently kool-aid drinkers are few in number...at least according to this CDT article. Scroll down to the comment about few expecting that we'll be Big Ten title contenders soon...pass the kool aid.

Interesting the way this article is written...opening and closing with tsk-tsks on Joe's obsession on '02 & instant replay. In between these mandatory writer jabs at Joe (I'd like to read the PC transcript to get the context of the question...how Joe went from whether last years 4-7 record could help this team learn to '02, replay and the Rose Bowl) there are some solid observations about replacing players who will graduate this year.

Carol
(Quarterback)
08/17/05 07:52 AM

Pappy,
Since Bracken became Sports editor, there has been a negative slant on Joe. I guess it's pay back for Joe letting him know that he could no longer trust Bracken. Recall the Switzer/Sherril comment? That was a statement made in the privacy of his home, jokingly to friends when being teased about the usual "When are you retiring" question back in the mid 80s. Bracken published the quote not the format it was said in. He is the reason that Joe lost trust in reporters. The national press ran with the quote without ever questioning Joe on when/why he made it.

Here's the link to the press conference transcript:
http://www.gopsusports.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?anncid=8382

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/18/05 07:36 AM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina membership (we made the CDT)

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/12400988.htm

The Kool-Aid Krew makes ripples in the CDT. Perhaps now that we have some publicity we can expect a surge in membership!!!

12 - and - OH, YEAH!!!

I would like to point out that Moody is wrong. This team IS going to be Big 10 Champs. No ifs ands or buts. Let the Kool-Aid flow!

pennst92
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/18/05 08:09 AM
Re: I love this board!!!

Everyone here is great. Sorry I've been absent quite a bit this summer...real life has intruded upon what I'd really like to be doing. But sign me up for the Kool Aid Kantina (they have a smaller version here in Gamecock country with the dawning of the Air Spurrier era...I like ours better).

12-0 BABY!!!

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/21/05 09:12 PM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina membership - CAROL

Carol:

Where are you gonna get the shirts made up? If you are still planning on doing that or looking into it. I also have a shirt idea, that I've got about 75 perhaps more students (Ann Arbor is a Whore *we have a Facebook group* and everyone seems really interested in the shirt, and a few other things written on it) interested in actually. And I'm looking into a few places, but wondered if you knew of anywhere good/cheaper. I know our THON shirts we always got at the place above the Skeller. Let me know.

THANKS!

PSUFAN
(Left Tackle)
08/21/05 11:12 PM

Moody's CDT article raises what I believe to be some very valid points. Gritting your teeth about what has passed does no good. If anything, it obscures what actually happened in the situations, and does nothing to prevent similar situations from plaguing the program in the future.

Bad stuff happens in a football game. You don't get every break. WHat you do is move past these things and do what you can to win games, not pretend like you were robbed, throw up your hands and throw in the towel.

Joe loves to point to the bad call that turned the 2001 UVA game. Problem is, there was an entire half of football that followed the bad call on that fumble that the staff basically was outcoached during. The staff did nothing to adjust their approach and try to win the game, so Groh took the victory. The PSU staff was so broken up about a bad call that they threw in the towel.

There has been a lot more to PSU's downturn than a couple of calls, or heaven forbid, an anti-PSU conspiracy or several. There is a point where you'd hope the PSU staff would look to themselves and recognize that there has to be some change before progress can be made.

I guess this kind of talk gets me kicked out of the cantina, right? But hey...I'll be here all week.

Carol
(Quarterback)
08/22/05 06:31 AM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina membership - CAROL

Walt,
My son and his girl friend run a photography business on the side. He has a website you can contact him through. I'll get the url and post it. The Kool-aid final version will be on that site as well.

Carol
(Quarterback)
08/22/05 06:38 AM

How does Joe "move on" when he's answering a question in a press conference? Had he not answered what he feels is the truth, the article would of found a different thing about Joe to vent about. Strange how the author doesn't give credit to Joe for 80% of the NCAA conference NOW using replay to review bad calls.

PSUFAN
(Left Tackle)
08/22/05 07:01 AM

Here's the question he was asked:

"Will a year like last year help with players who lived through it? Can you use it as a tool to help the players?"

Fairly innocuous. His response is very revealing:

Quote:

Last year we played tough football. There was a play here, a play there, a play there. It was a catch here a kick there and that kind of thing. I have tried to zero in on that. We were so close to being a good football team.

Quote:

We had a string of a couple of years where things had just not gone our way. If we had instant replay in the year of 2002, we probably would have gone to the Rose Bowl. It is as simple as that. We didn't and that is the way the life is.

The reporter led Joe to the idea that a tough season could serve as a good learning experience for the squad. His response does indeed reveal that he's still focused in on how his team was screwed out of glory. Let's hope this is an effective strategy. Meanwhile, it seems like Moody's article is not misguided.

As for "credit" for instant replay...I might be willing to give Joe more credit had he been an early proponent of it. However, he was an opponent of the concept, until his squad seemed to require it. Yes, the ridiculously bad calls of 2002, and Joe's reaction to them, certainly brought more attention to the matter. Painting him as a trailblazer on the issue seems inaccurate, though.

:sips kool-aid:

camelspider
(Athletic Director)
08/22/05 12:49 PM

The Kantina has also made it to pennlive.com's "50-Yard Lion". Scroll down to August 15. Here's the link...

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/22/05 12:58 PM

That's awesome! Funny as hell, but awesome.

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
08/22/05 01:06 PM

Thanks Camel...that was cool to see the link to the version I printed up for my "Gameday" Appearance from the cleaned up version Brock developed. If indeed we are 5-0 going into the OSU game and Gameday announces for HV, I will have the signs printed and ready.

Note to self.....start the St. Jude novena immediately.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/22/05 01:24 PM

Don't worry we'll be getting more pub as our record goes from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, and finally 12 - and - OH YEAH!!! Everyone will be drinking the KOOL-AID...

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
08/22/05 01:30 PM

Quote:

Don't worry we'll be getting more pub as our record goes from 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, and finally 12 - and - OH YEAH!!! Everyone will be drinking the KOOL-AID...

Then, won't all these goofy, naysayers look like a bunch of funny faces?

joe
(Split End)
08/22/05 03:22 PM

just got done watching daily news live on comcast sports..david jones has psu going 9-2 and the girl on there dana(a psu grad) ask if he was drinking the kool-aid...seams like there is alot talk outside this thread about the blue kool-aid

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
08/23/05 04:47 AM

I saw that too, joe, & the same thought entered my mind. Interestingly, Dick Jerardi gave Jones props for being pretty good on the season prediction thing...mentioning he picked us to have a bad season back in '00, etc.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/23/05 05:28 AM

Is that "Goofy Grape" himself??

The 12th Man
(Walk On)
08/23/05 11:50 AM

How could I not be on board with a name like that? My family and friends have been asking me what I have been smoking for thinking we were going to have a great season, but now I can tell them I'm not smoking, I'm drinking, Kool-Aid! I have another idea that could send this idea through the roof. What if we all drank lots of Blue Kool-Aid, or something else that made our tongue and teeth really blue (like blue food coloring!)and went around Beaver Stadium September 2nd (Pep rally) and 3rd with our tongues wagging? ! By the Minnesota game no self-respecting fan, and especially not the students, would open their mouths if it wasn't evidence of their Kool-Aid Kantina membership! 12-0 BABY! Pasadena here we come!

scottopus
(Outside Linebacker)
08/23/05 11:52 AM

PSUPappy

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/23/05 12:02 PM

12th Man....You have passed the prerequisites to become a member of the Kool-Aid Kantina. Welcome aboard. While I'm not into the blue tongue thing, I do want you and everybody else to do it!!

Also, we need signs all over the place so we all know where our friends our. Your attitude is going to be exactly what we need.

12-0!!!

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
08/23/05 12:18 PM

I made "blue margaritas" last year with Blue Curacao. They made my tongue blue, but didn't seem to help the W-L record

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/23/05 12:32 PM

Quote:

I made "blue margaritas" last year with Blue Curacao. They made my tongue blue, but didn't seem to help the W-L record

Forget last year, OL!! We are done living in the past! Make those blue margaritas again this year, place your Kool-Aid Kantina sign above you in the lot and watch them come.

Oh, they will come, OL. They most definitely will come....

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/23/05 12:51 PM

This is the first year I'm lacking a real tailgate spot. Everyone from my year has finally graduated, and I'm not sure how many will be coming back and when ...

I'll be walking around looking for Kool-Aid signs ... well walking isn't the appropriate word (perhaps stumbling) ...

Also does anyone know if they did the student spirit shirts like they did last year this year??? Or a link to the design on them???

LioninVa
(Running Back By Committee)
08/23/05 01:36 PM

The beauty of a margarita is that it can help with the joy or pain!

I'm thinking it will serve a much more positive purpose this year, OL.

If I haven't mentioned it, pass the kool-aid!

thenewlama
(Split End)
08/23/05 05:58 PM

I know I can't stop the momentum of the Kool Aid Brigade but here is my Six Step Program for those trying to go straight :

1. I understand that since I do not play, decide who plays, or call any plays I really have no control over the outcome of the game - so it's best not to pin my weekends on whether the Blue wins or not

2. Joe's got more cliches than you got Kool - Aid

3. Possible and probable are two very different concepts

4. If Jaypa coaches as long as his Pop does anyone really want to risk the long term effects of that much Kool - Aid?

5. It is not true that "anything is possible" - if it were true there would be no such word as impossible, and if nothing was impossible, there would be no reason for the word possible

6. The Neocons have driven the price of Kool - Aid higher than a barrel of crude.

That said - I really want one of those T-Shirts

Fritzi
(Left Tackle)
08/23/05 07:29 PM

Quote:

But a little extra Curacao goes a long way in helping to forget that W-L record!

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
08/24/05 02:25 AM

Good post, llama...realistic remimders of our real world. I would point out though, that one of the definitions of impossible in my dictionary is "insuperably difficult", and one of the definitions of possible is "being something that may or may not occur." So, many (if not any) things may be insuperably difficult, but may occur...for instance, my golfing buddies think its impossible that I'll ever break 90, and having seen me swing are sure it won't occur. But I'll keep plugging & who knows? Maybe even today...its possible, you know.

I like the shirts too.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/24/05 05:53 AM

Quote:

5. It is not true that "anything is possible" - if it were true there would be no such word as impossible, and if nothing was impossible, there would be no reason for the word possible

Heyyyy! You're just trying to confuse the members of the Kantina with all your "possible-impossible-possible" talk, Llama.

Don't listen to him, Kool-Aid brethren. There's a fine line between realism and pessimism and llama is all over it.

We all know it's a long shot, but to paraphrase Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber", even if our odds a million to one, you're saying we got a chance!

FWIW, I will never concede a loss, but I will always assume a win.

12-0

And by the way, of course not "anything" is possible, but winning a college football game against a fairly evenly matched opponent ain't exactly like somebody saying, "Hey, watch this - I'm going to do a standing broad jump over the widest part of the Grand Canyon."

I'm sure WHEN PSU beats OSU and Michigan people won't say "those are the two biggest upsets in the history of college football!"

Well, other than you.

But you are still welcome aboard the Kool-Aid Kaboose as we chug towards Pasadena. You all are welcome!

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
08/24/05 07:29 AM

Barbie's on our Team!

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
08/24/05 07:32 AM

Official Kantina Tailgate Vehicle:

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/24/05 07:59 AM

I love the truck. And Barbie ain't lookin' half bad, herself....er, I mean, if I was into that kind of thing, of course...which I'm not....I'm just saying for a doll.....oh, never mind.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
08/24/05 08:35 AM

I think that this would be a neat image for you photoshoppers to PSU blue up.

gkline176
(Free Safety)
08/24/05 08:46 AM

What about this one

AkronLion
(Defensive Coordinator)
08/24/05 10:06 PM

Put a JoePa image on the youthful person and change the banner to "Kool Aid Man," and you have something worth $50.00 each on the T-shirt market.

PSUbrock
(Kicker)
08/24/05 11:45 PM

Quote:

and you have something worth $50.00 each on the T-shirt market.

This one might be worth 50 pesos....

LioninVa
08/25/05 02:47 AM

50 pesos?

Is that the going rate for toilet tissue south of the border?

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/25/05 05:13 AM

When does PSU have their preseason rally with JoePa in attendance? Anyway, I want JoePa wearing a Kool-Aid Kantina Shirt yelling, "Everybody throw down some Kool-Aid! Rose Bowl, here we COME!"

Hey, he might do it. He gets all revved up at those things.

psubob
(Athletic Director)
08/25/05 06:43 AM

Kool-Aid Tailgating recipe

LioninVa
08/25/05 06:49 AM

Penn State Football Eve was discussed in another thread, but I figured would link it here since Hondo asked.

If you go to the football home on gopsusports.com, there is a countdown clock, but it is to the pep rally rather than the game kickoff time.

AkronLion
(Defensive Coordinator)
08/25/05 10:19 PM

Memo to Production Manager:

In re to recently released Viva Jay design, produce only for advance payment orders. Confirm payment with accounting before release. Sales reports little interest. Do not produce for stock.

Also, consider possibility of immediate high demand for Kool-Aid line following final design. Delay normal September maintenance if necessary.

General Manager TC

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/29/05 03:43 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview05/news/story?id=2143245

Herbstreit picks PSU as the Big11 sleeper team. Those in the Kantina know the only way we'll be a sleeper is if you've been hiding in a cave since the BW game. 12 and OH YEAH! National Championship teams can't be sleepers Herbie.

Also AZ and MRob seem to get some pub. Good for them. I can't believe TB though didn't get some respect as a top D-coordinator. AFTER THIS YEAR HE WILL!!!

5 days!!!

shane
(Fullback)
08/30/05 05:31 AM

I remember when Herbstreet also said that Larry Johnson was set to have a big senior year. Let's hope this prediction works out as well as that one.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
08/31/05 11:11 AM

And at last here I am on the hill overlooking Pasadena
I can see Kool-Aid Kantina below
My team is strong and it pushes onward
Down off the hill to The Rose Bowl I go

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
08/31/05 11:38 AM

Quote:

And at last here I am on the hill overlooking Pasadena
I can see Kool-Aid Kantina below
My team is strong and it pushes onward
Down off the hill to The Rose Bowl I go

Off to my right I see five 'SC Trojans
Off to my left chase a half-dozen more
Shouting and pursuing, I can't let them catch me
I have to make a quick Rose Bowl score.

Something is dreadfully wrong for 'SC
A deep burning pain in their sides
Though they are trying to stay close in the Rose Bowl
Their getting weary, their 3rd try denied.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
09/01/05 06:26 AM

Penn State claims it may go perfect 12-0 this year Beaver County Times quotes MRob & Rice.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/01/05 06:41 AM

Quote:

Penn State claims it may go perfect 12-0 this year Beaver County Times quotes MRob & Rice.

Obviously, SOMEBODY has boarded the Kool-Aid Kaboose!! They see the Kantina showing their support and realize it CAN happen!

These guys know better than us. Plus, they wouldn't lie!

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/01/05 08:05 AM

Quote:

Obviously, SOMEBODY has boarded the Kool-Aid Kaboose!!

...hate to disagree with you hondo but methinks these guys better be driving the Kool-aid Express...not riding in the caboose

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/01/05 11:00 AM

Quote:

...hate to disagree with you hondo but methinks these guys better be driving the Kool-aid Express...not riding in the caboose

Hey! Wait a minute! YOU hate to disagree with ME!!! It must be close to the start of the season!!! (kidding, OL!)

The Kaboose is actually the engine renamed for aliteration purposes! I'll be in the "real" caboose throwing liquid nourishment down my throat until I am needed to throw Kool-Aid into the engine to keep it going strong!

By the way, do we know who will be returning Kickoffs tomorrow? And who will be doing our kicking off?

I am SOOOOOOOO ready for this game.

49 1/2 more hours.....but who's counting?

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
09/01/05 12:57 PM

I'm more interested in who will be returning kick offs on Saturday, Hondo ...unless they really moved the game to tomorrow. Gotta be something else in the Kool Aid...I want some.

I know, I know...you're just so pumped up. You did get the hours right, although its now 47 hours, 35 minutes. I think I'll pack the car.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/01/05 01:04 PM

Quote:

I'm more interested in who will be returning kick offs on Saturday, Hondo ...unless they really moved the game to tomorrow. Gotta be something else in the Kool Aid...I want some.

I know, I know...you're just so pumped up. You did get the hours right, although its now 47 hours, 35 minutes. I think I'll pack the car.

LOOK AT ME!!! I CAN'T EVEN FIGGER OUT THE DAYS OF THE WEEK!!!

Thanks for settin' me straight.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/05/05 07:58 AM

My Kool-Aid wasn't tasting too good Saturday. Unfortunately, JoePa seems to putting the wrong "ingredients" together and it ended up tasting an awful lot like last year's crap.

I couldn't have been more disappointed.

OldPSUfan
(Coach)
09/05/05 09:19 AM

You guy's can have the kool aide, Ill take beer it's more realistic. I've already weighed in on the subject but it's been buried for a few days now. No sense in rehashing. I'm begining to believe the problem is the old man. He might have "fire", knowledge, and desire, but I think stubborn tops the list. I wonder how his PC will go. And also if AS's after game comments put's him back in the doghouse. If so, I will not uphold Joe again. He is a great man, coach, humanitarian, etc., and he will go down in history as one of the greatest college coaches of all time. That being said, if he doesn't loose the stubborn streak he will be sent into history sooner than he expects. This is the last year tolerated without success.

Blue&White
(Hall of Famer)
09/05/05 09:26 AM

wow, did that bubble pop fast! Don't forget we actuall won. We have more talent on the field than we've had in the last couple of years. This team has potential. I think everyone needs to just relax for a few days and wait for Cincinatti

OldPSUfan
(Coach)
09/05/05 11:24 AM

Yeah we won and we won ugly. Where was Morelli, Scott, etc. Where was AQ hiding. When you have good players you play them. I am commenting on a trend here, not a result. I stand by my original post some days ago. MRob is a good football player but not a good QB. I also said I'd wait a few games for him to get acclimated if that is necessary. It shouldn't be, he's been here 5 years. I am basically stating Joepa is not playing the best players in the best positions.... My opinion.

PSUbrock
(Kicker)
09/05/05 12:15 PM

Quote:

Where was Morelli, Scott, etc. Where was AQ hiding. When you have good players you play them.

Totally agree.

However, AQ actually split some time with Antolick, as did Reed with Price. We are counting on EZ to save the OL; perhaps he'll make better calls at the line, but that will be more than offset by the better DLs of the Big Ten.

Cronin in many instances was the nickleback, and I don't buy this crap that neither D-Will, King nor Sarge can field a punt.

I also find it interesting that our 195 lb true frosh wideout could block USF's best defensive player, while our 260 lb senior TE could not.

Blue&White
(Hall of Famer)
09/05/05 12:17 PM

I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm just saying it's to early to panic or assume the worst. It may be the worst, but I think this team has talent and is better than what they showed on Saturday.

When I become the voice of optomism, you know things are bad. You would almost think we lost ... but we didn't.

laney53
(Inside Linebacker)
09/05/05 12:47 PM

Thank you B&W...I remain optimistic about this team, although it is much more guarded optimism than Saturday morning. I will also agree that it's time to see AM and AS get some significant playing time. Everyone keeps talking as if we lost, but we didn't. Erase our turnovers, and have Kilmer CATCH the touchdown pass to him, and that game IS a blowout. These are correctable mistakes, unlike last year. A can't wait to see how they perform on Saturday...look for a significant improvement.

OldPSUfan
(Coach)
09/05/05 12:47 PM

I'm not panicked, where's the button ? THE BUTTON?? Seriously, I know it's a W and these kids are talented. THAT is what bothers me. I see a trend with senioritus. Of course he is going to appease the new speedy recruits that he (they) worked so hard to get. Plus he want's to send a message to further recruits that PT is available. I think what irritates me the most is Morelli and Scott, plus there is no need to run the QB 18 out of 54 total plays. If he wants to run the ball give it to the RB's. I guess what I'm saying here is I graded the "O" a C-, the "D" a B, and the coaching staff a D. I hope it changes.
I also never jumped on the kool aide bus. My most optomistic predictions were 8-3. I hope that's right.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/05/05 12:50 PM

Let me ask you this because I read an article that I found very interesting.

Basically the article said, based on post-game comments by coaches and captains, the team held A LOT back. They held back plays, didn't run a lot of plays they were working on, didn't show nearly anything on offense, didn't get the ball into JK and DWill's hands on purpose, because they wanted just to get their feet wet for their first game. They kept it simple in order to save a lot for the Big11 season.

That was the basics of it. Basically just implying that wait and see what we can really do, you guys are gonna really see something.

I'm wondering. Does anyone else think it's possible? That they really believe that they are gonna be a helluva football team and do have a lot to show us, and just PERHAPS did this on purpose so teams think, oh this is the Penn State of the past few years, nothing's changed, and coaches/playes kinda overlook them and maybe prepare for them a little less hard?

I know it's hard to believe. But the comments seemed sincere. You don't really make comments like that without reason. It seemed to say (between the lines) just wait and see. You guys will be whistling a different tune after a few games. Even MRob, ya know basically was saying, hey we kept it simple, we got the W but we are saving A LOT.

I know it might be hard to believe, but is ALL THAT possible? Could we be in for a shock?

I hope so.

We're 1/12th of the way to our goal! Keep the Kool-Aid flowin!!!

12-0h yeah!

gkline176
(Free Safety)
09/05/05 03:02 PM

I sure hope so. ANd if it is true, Mrob is one heck of a QB, letting himself get sacked, not looking through his progressions etc. And as for Scott, I agree. He should play. Hunt is amazing, can you imagine what we could do if we could effectively get these two in the games. Can you say, Moroney/Barber last year. Oh wait, they had an o-line. Nevermind

OldPSUfan
(Coach)
09/05/05 03:09 PM

Yeah we are in for a shock. Could anyone actually believe a statement like that. We kept it simple alright. So simple that our OL forgot how to block, Mrob fumbles, overthrows open receivers, runs 18 times out of 54 total offensive plays. on and on and on. USF ran 70 some plays which is about average they held the edge in TOP. Our D was not up to their usual standards and they are the first to admit it. They were not happy with their performance. Funny, I don't seem to recall the O saying they were not satisfied with their performance. Could it be that was their best to date? DWill, JKing, THunt, excluded from that last comment. I have no doubt the O will come together, but will it be in time to make a bowl run?

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/05/05 10:30 PM

Is it too late to get on the Kool-Aid Kantina? I STILL BELIEVE!!!

I do not post much, but I read everything you guys post. I saw the same things that all the negative posters saw. I wasn't happy, but I never felt like the win was in jeopardy.

Food for thought: I saw some really ugly wins in 1986 and 1987 against some of the lesser talents that we played back then, but in those two years I only saw 1 loss.

Sign me up as a true blue Kool-Aid believer.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
09/06/05 05:48 AM

88 PSU Alum, Maybe it was something in the, umm "water," back then. I'm an 88 Alum too, and I STILL BELIEVE!

pennst92
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/06/05 06:10 AM

So I printed up my copy of the Cincy game notes this morning from gopsusports (i.e. Penn State Pravda).

Am I still on the cherry bandwagon?

Carol
(Quarterback)
09/06/05 09:39 AM

Walt I was told that, by a player. Also when I voiced my concern on the oline, I was told it was correctable and would be worked on.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/06/05 09:47 AM

Carol, I agree.

I think, truth be told, the D knew they could hold them to under what we already had by the second quarter. And the game could just basically be a practice. It never honestly was in doubt. And I think perhaps (unless a hell of a lot of people are blowing smoke up our arses) that they just are not showing too much too early. Let teams think we're weak, when that may not be the case. I'm really kind of believing that, just because I don't want to believe that after all the preseason hype, that we are back to the same old same old. This team could just be good enough to play those kind of games (God knows the 94 team was if it wanted to). I'm not saying we're like that juggernaut but I think they're pretty good, and we'll see in the coming weeks.

I STILL BELIEVE!!!

RoarLions
(Hall of Famer)
09/06/05 10:05 AM

I think someone vomited in the Kool Aide. I think it was me.

No way were we sandbagging interceptions, fumbles and sacks. Our line stinks and our Qb has no pocket presence.

Carol
(Quarterback)
09/06/05 12:06 PM

"No way were we sandbagging interceptions, fumbles and sacks. Our line stinks and our Qb has no pocket presence. "

I don't recall anyone seriously saying they were sandbagging interceptions, fumbles and sacks. What was said was a very vanilla offense was planned. Most likely to make sure the young players (and there were more than 2 young players in the game) got their feet wet. The amount of substituting that was going on almost resembled a scrimmage. As I said in another thread I hope all jitters are now over and done with, and I hope the D plays a full game next week.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
09/08/05 12:02 PM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS!

I don't know where Hondo is, but I'll take the liberty of putting words in his wisdom-toothless mouth:

HONDO: What the heck happened to the Kantina I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Hondo, we might be disappointed." Well just kiss my grits from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Bearcats & Chippewas they're toast! Northwestern & Minnesota, toast! Buckeyes ...

glensidefan
(Defensive Coordinator)
09/08/05 12:21 PM

Quote:

I don't know where Hondo is, but I'll take the liberty of putting words in his wisdom-toothless mouth:

HONDO: What the heck happened to the Kantina I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Hondo, we might be disappointed." Well just kiss my grits from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Bearcats & Chippewas they're toast! Northwestern & Minnesota, toast! Buckeyes ...

DEAD!!!

it is now time to get the kool aid flowing again for the weekend. gulp, gulp, ahhh...
on our way to 2-0

WE ARE...

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/08/05 08:01 PM

It takes more than a missing lackofwisdom tooth to keep me from mixing up batches of Kool-Aid. Sure! It was hard to watch MRob run 59 QB Draws. Sure! It wasn't fun watching MRob QB like, well, MRob. Sure! It wasn't fun scoring only 23 points against SF. But you know what? It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter because Penn State football...we're ONE and OH!

Sure we haven't been great lately. We're not Watusi, we're not Trojans, we're Nittany Lions. With a capital "N", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our immediate predecessors were embarrassed by every decent Division I program in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts.

But that all ends this year. Just ask Winger and Ziskey. Or Floyd, Glen, Walt, and Gkline.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/08/05 09:04 PM

I just want an over under on a few things this weekend...

We'll start at:

5 ... # of QB draws
175 ... # of PSU passing yards
8 ... # of plays Morelli plays
5 ... # of carries for Austin Scott
7 ... # of times MRob is sacked (or loses yards on a scramble from the pocket not counted as a sack)
13 ... # of points Cincy scores
30 ... # of points we score

All in all though, We'll be 2 and OH ... and the Kool-Aid will be flowing!!! OH YEAH!!!

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/09/05 01:46 PM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina - What Mixers for Cinci?

O.K. Just over 19 hours until kickoff. What are we mixing with the Blue Kool-Aid for tomorrow's game with Cincinnati? I need to run out for supplies.

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/09/05 03:58 PM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina - What Mixers for Cinci?

My mix is Jose Cuervo Gold, but just not ready to mix it with the Kool-aid quite yet. If we're 4-0 I'll have a margarita cantina for Minny

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/10/05 11:18 AM
Re: Pass the Kool-Aid

Pass the Kool-Aid. This is fun.
12 and 0. I STILL BELIEVE!!!

LioninVa
09/10/05 11:31 AM

There's plenty of room on the wagon.

Falling of off really sucks!

psu80
(Split End)
09/10/05 12:45 PM

OK, I'm ready to join the bandwagon.... I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful..... 2 and OH!

OldPSUfan
(Coach)
09/10/05 12:47 PM

OK Hondo, make me a glass of Kool Aide !!!

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/10/05 01:05 PM

Seats are filling up quickly ... I'm gonna have to start scalping tickets to get on the bandwagon soon ...

we'll start with tickets to the OSU game as a price!

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/10/05 01:13 PM

With MeatChicken losing to the Golden Domers (I was actually rooting for Mich. and that'll never happen again)
And the Nuts in a huuuuuuuuuuge game tonight (possible loss), and Iowa losing, and Purdue not looking impressive against some nobody ...

The Big11 could lose all of it's top 10 teams ... (granted the Iowa game is only 10 minutes in, and OSU would lose to the #2 team if they do lose, and MeatChicken losing to apparently the all of a sudden resurgent Irish... they might all not drop far) but still PSU could be one of few undefeated Big11 teams ...

My tongue is blue, and I'm full of Kooooooooooooool-Aid
42 is no 81 though ... and I'm sad we lost the <21 streak

LioninVa
09/10/05 01:14 PM

Let me say now... I am previously committed on the night of the OSU game and it is all my fault! We could be 5-0 going in , or (God forbid) 2-3, but I plan on taping the game and watching Sunday morning. It will be a bear, but I am going to do my best to stay incommunicado so I can watch it and enjoy. You can scalp my ticket for that game, but I want it back the following day!

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/12/05 07:38 PM
Kantina Gathering???

What say you all, we gather at a local watering hole in SC sometime on October 7th, to catch up and let some Kool-Aid flow. We can figure out where if enough people are in, but obviously every bar has it's pluses and minuses (except for maybe Chumley's which I see no pluses to, "not that there's anything wrong with that"). Let me know if everyone's in, I think it would be a fun time. Say around 10, or 11 that Friday?

On another note, I took the road trip to Cbus last year for the game and was treated very well by the OSU faithful at the bars and the stadium. Though they didn't understand my choice of Hey Baby on the Jukebox ... they seemed to think playing Hang on Sloopy was a good idea 99 times in a row. Though as the night went on I think PSU fans outnumbered OSU fans at the establishment I was at (they must not know how to drink, that's why it's called Happy Valley though). But no real fights, which I though was great. Just a lot of chanting and singing fight songs. It was a good atmosphere all weekend really. Even in the student section, I was treated well even in a PSU jersey (probably because I booed Zach and the O as much as they did).

I don't think this year I'll be booing, unless it's the team in white and red. "I HATE OHIO STATE" 2005!!!

Fritzi
(Left Tackle)
09/12/05 07:51 PM
Re: Kantina Gathering???

Depends on if I'm working Saturday morning, can get Friday off of work, and my aunt (who's going with me) wants to head out early. And if we find a place to crash. If all of that works out in my favor, I'd be up for it. I'll go anywhere in downtown walking distance.

There were some OSU fans who followed a group of us to the Crowbar a few years back, right around Halloween. I asked them if they were dressed like escapees from Bellevue. They didn't get it. They were nice though, they bought us drinks for leading them to a bar. (Commandment #13: Thou Shalt Not Turn Down Free Beer, regardless of how crappy a reason).

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/15/05 11:48 AM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina Keep It Flowing

How did we let the Kool-Aid Kantina thread fall off of the first page. Keep it alive people!

This week's special: Blue Kool-Aid Kamikazes.

gkline176
(Free Safety)
09/15/05 11:53 AM

Hondo, Floyd and Walt. How could you let this happen

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/15/05 11:56 AM

Everyone's on board now ... we don't have to belittle the Kool-Aid haters so it just dropped. 3 and OH!!! I SMELL ROSES!!!

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/15/05 12:04 PM

Sorry! I just got so busy mixing up batch after batch of the stuff that I had assumed that Walt was watching the store!

Come on, Walt! Get busy!! We have roses to pick, Kool-Aid to drink, and Chippewas to punish!

3-0 and 1/4 of the way there!!!

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/17/05 08:11 AM

Watching ESPN College GameDay just to see if they say anything at all about Penn State yet, or if we are still flying under the radar. Mark May just said "I didn't gulp the Kool-Aid yet." Unfortunately, he was talking about Notre Dame.

Is someone out there reading our stuff and picking up our references, or did we borrow the Kool-Aid reference from someone else? I think Mark's been visiting NF.com.

Time to spike the Kool-Aid.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/17/05 08:20 AM

I've heard several references to Kool-Aid on ESPN throughout the year so far. Herbstreit said it in the first week, I think he was talking about Notre Dame against Pitt too. I'm also wondering where it came from... anyone?

in 7 hours we'll be 3 and OH YEAH!

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/17/05 10:06 AM

Probably came from someone on the ESPN staff whose job it is to google to see if anyone brings up ESPN GameDay and found this thread College Gameday Photoshoot.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/18/05 07:05 PM

If Gameday comes up to the OSU game, somebody here will no doubt be able to create something!

Carol
(Quarterback)
09/19/05 08:35 AM

Walt, It may be time to start charging the bandwagon fans admission to the Kool Aid club.

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/19/05 08:42 AM

Quote:

Walt, It may be time to start charging the bandwagon fans admission to the Kool Ad club.

I can tell you work for the University...always looking to make a buck on the fans

After the last 5 years, folks should be able to pick their time to join or not join, don't you think??

appoo
(Hall of Famer)
09/19/05 08:46 AM

what about those that never really needed Kool-Aid?

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/19/05 08:49 AM

Quote:

what about those that never really needed Kool-Aid?

You mean all five of us?

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/19/05 07:54 PM

Hahaha ... I didn't need Kool-Aid this year, but after 4 of the last 5, Kool-Aid wasn't cutting it. I had to turn to Jack, Jim, Johnnie and Jose ...

This year is quite a different story isn't it? It's beginning to smell a lot like ROSES ... everywhere you go...

gkline176
(Free Safety)
09/20/05 05:51 AM

I am not backing down from 12-0 but I am not saying anything about roses until we beat Minny. After we take care of them, I will feel better about roses

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/20/05 05:59 AM

I'm with you, gkline. I still have the "why not us" attitude when it comes to winning the Big 11, Roses, etc... but I'll have a completely different attitude if they lose either of the next two games.

Last year with a defense that was tough, I thought "we can win this game with a break or two on offense" and then was disappointed that the break never came. This year, that same defense is still kicking ass, but now our offense has ability we haven't seen here in years.

There is no reason this team can't beat every team on the schedule. However, that being said, I could say the same thing about Michigan (oops, I mean, "Meatchicken") and OSU. It will be a tough road to hoe, but it should be fun!

billet323
(Split End)
09/20/05 06:06 AM

MrHondo.... you are 100% right... logically it only makes sence that if you have no offense last year... and you are staying within striking distance of everyone... that if you have the same defense only a little better... with an offense that we are all assuming can strike that we should be able to win these big games... im really starting to get excited here... but i do know how fast that can all come crumbling down

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
09/21/05 05:51 AM

Man, I hate to hoe those roads.

Keep the faith & pass the kool-aid, Hondo.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
09/21/05 12:35 PM

Last weekend, after Notre Dame's 17-10 upset against No. 3 Michigan, the Irish and their fans were riding high, pumped about the team's 2-0 start and No. 10 ranking under new coach Charlie Weis. Weis seemed to be the only one who wasn't floating off into the atmosphere, as those in Notre Dame nation were clinging onto their "new" team's every move, ready to drink the green Kool-Aid if Weis said it would lead to winning. And with all this joy and excitement, the Irish fans went to sleep last Friday night, the eve before Weis' first home game, with visions of Bowl Championship Series national trophies dancing through their heads.

The 12th Man
(Walk On)
09/23/05 11:32 AM

Hello all, this is the first time I've come back since before South Florida. I must say it was disappointing though not entirely surprising to see so many people fall off the Kool-Aid bandwagon after that game. I think the real problem is a fear of dissappointment. A long time ago, I learned to divorce my appreciation and ability to enjoy a game from the outcome. I think if more people did that, they wouldn't be afraid to join the Kantina lock, stock and barrel like I have. I KNOW that this team has what it takes to go 12-0! And I'm right until proven wrong. I was there in Tempe on a chilly winter night when a stranger thing happened to a team that doesn't have as much talent as this one does. If the 12th man believes it (meaning all the fans, not just me!), the team will start to believe it. Keep the faith, tomorrow, PSU takes out some frustration on NU and builds more confidence. Cheers!

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/23/05 12:15 PM

Quote:

Hello all, this is the first time I've come back since before South Florida. I must say it was disappointing though not entirely surprising to see so many people fall off the Kool-Aid bandwagon after that game. I think the real problem is a fear of dissappointment. A long time ago, I learned to divorce my appreciation and ability to enjoy a game from the outcome. I think if more people did that, they wouldn't be afraid to join the Kantina lock, stock and barrel like I have. I KNOW that this team has what it takes to go 12-0! And I'm right until proven wrong. I was there in Tempe on a chilly winter night when a stranger thing happened to a team that doesn't have as much talent as this one does. If the 12th man believes it (meaning all the fans, not just me!), the team will start to believe it. Keep the faith, tomorrow, PSU takes out some frustration on NU and builds more confidence. Cheers!

YOU DA MAN!!!

The 12th Man
(Walk On)
09/23/05 12:24 PM

What ever happened to the T-shirts?

LioninVa
09/23/05 12:25 PM

I want one too!

Just not green.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
09/23/05 12:46 PM

Not sure about the tee shirts. It would be great, though. Where's Walt? I thought he was the tee shirt dude. Sell them outside Gate A for the WoeIsYou game and they'll go like crazy after the drinks have been flowin' for about 9 hours or so....

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/24/05 02:22 PM
Don't Kick Me Out of the Kool-Aid Kantina

Please forgive me. I started to have my doubts when the D let NW drive the field and kick the FG to take back the 2 point lead. MRob had looked unsettled all day, and I didn't see how he could drive 80 yards for a TD or even 60 or so yards for a GF try to win it. Then when we didn't get the 1st down on 3rd and 13 from the 17 yard line (but rather lost 2 yards) I was hopeful, but I must admit I really expected a bad pass on 4th down.

Please don't kick me out of the Kool-Aid Kantina. I will never entertain doubts like that again.

Fritzi
(Left Tackle)
09/24/05 02:35 PM
Re: Don't Kick Me Out of the Kool-Aid Kantina

I'm not a Kantina Founder, nor do I have what the kids call "sway", but I wouldn't kick you out of the Kantina. It's hard not to have doubts about this team after the last 5 years. It looked very bleak by the end of the first quarter (ok, fine, I was nailbiting at the end of Northwestern's first drive). There's just been so much hype around a team that's won 7 games in the last 2 years that it's hard to remember that this is, for the most part, that same team.

The doubt is natural. This is the first time we're 4-0 since that year, and we're facing that team next week. When the win comes, you do feel guilt for having those doubts, but they're not unfounded. The doubt just means you have to increase Kool Aid consumption so that duct taping inanimate objects together to sway the fates seems like a good idea!

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/24/05 02:39 PM

Quote:

It looked very bleak by the end of the first quarter (ok, fine, I was nailbiting at the end of Northwestern's first drive).

Hey Fritzi...I was downing Jose Cuervo, and it was 10:45 AM. I'm not sold on Kool-aid, but I know that swilling Jose Cuervo got me through the game. This team has me in a cantina...just not a Kool-aid one!

Fritzi
(Left Tackle)
09/24/05 02:46 PM

OL - did you go all ten rounds with Jose Cuervo?

Remember that time is relative. It's not important if you're drinking at 10:45 AM or 10:45 PM. Anything else you need rationalized, Fritzi-style?

I had to nailbite. I have to have minimal alcohol consumption for the next few months. And I had really nice nails at the end of August. They're gonna be nubbins again by Ohio State if this keeps up!

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/24/05 02:57 PM

Thanks Fritzi.

Actually at the end of the first quarter (as well as at the end of the half) I was still confident that we would come back and win. When we took the 27-26 lead I thought it was over for NW. I was just thinking that Joe would go conservative with a 1 point lead and make the Defense win it. As stated earlier, my doubts came when NW drove down and kicked that FG.

I'm all better now. Johnie Walker cures all.

RobWin
(Split End)
09/24/05 03:21 PM

I was at that game and I didn't have the angle to see the catch, and still can't believe it happened. We seem to give up 3rd and long way too much (even back then with Lavar and co.). I will be at the remainder of the games this season and if you have a canteen please bring it. I'm very thirsty for some games that we manage to control against a considerable foe.

gkline176
(Free Safety)
09/24/05 07:14 PM

WHere's Hondo? What is his take on the game. If he normally gets nervous at games, he must have an ulcer by now

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/25/05 12:43 PM

Sorry I've been out of the action Hondo ... This move to Delaware put a stop on my internet access for the week, but I'm up and running now, on a work-provided laptop ...

I wasn't nervous at all yesterday. Somehow I just knew at the end it would be 4-0 ... the only time I was a little anxious was on the 3rd and whatever (before we converted the 4th down and 15) when we threw a screen pass that got blown up. Aside from that I was sure ti was gonna end in our favor. Anyway. I don't know about the tee-shirts. I thought that was Carol's deal???

I'd definitely want one, but that wasn't my deal.

Alright ... well one hell of a game yesterday. I'm still buzzing. I was in Baltimore (watched the game with 20 psu alums in Federal Hill with a keg, and then out at the bars afterwards, and you'da thought everyone in town was a PSU fan. I got offered 300 bucks for my authentic JKing jersey ... and obviously we were all in our PSU gear, but we got more We Are ... chants than we would have in State College.

Awesome night. Baltimore is a fun city (who'da known...?)

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
09/26/05 07:53 AM

OL, just remember, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

appoo
(Hall of Famer)
09/26/05 08:07 AM

I love Baltimore. one of my best friends lives in Federal Hills I believe. I think the first exit after the tunnel on 95

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
09/28/05 07:04 AM

Smolko: "It's just a completely different than it was last year. ... I think last year if we would have won that game, it would have been relief. Because I don't think last year we were sure we could win. This year we knew we could win."

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
09/28/05 12:44 PM

University Park, Pa. The Blue & White Society and Penn State Intercollegiate Athletics are teaming up to host the fourth annual "Rally in the Valley" football pep rally at 8:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 7 in Rec Hall.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/30/05 12:22 AM

36 hours until kick-off. Has the Kantina been restocked yet? I have recovered from my bout with doubt. I now believe that getting to 5 and 0 will look prettier than getting to 4 and 0 did. Mix up plenty of Kool-Aid. I feel like we are going to be throwing a big party at the Kantina after the game.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/30/05 09:50 AM

When "preparing" for the game tomorrow. Be sure to pour some of your Kool-Aid on the dirt in State College (or wherever you may be) to appease the gods (who cursed us almost 6 years ago), and make sure this ship is finally turned in the right direction for real!

Drink a few extra swigs of the Kool-Aid before you head into the game, Come early. Be loud. Stay late. You're not gonna wanna miss this one when we can finally say We ARE ... Penn State again.

WE ARE...

Amylase
(Walk On)
10/01/05 11:09 AM

Question, I just bought some Kool-Aid to drink during the game, unfortunately It came in a blue box but the kool-aide came out red (minnesota's color) is it alright to drink red kool-aid or should we flush the stuff down the toilet.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/01/05 11:16 AM

Pee in it, and just drink whatever it was you were going to put in the kool-aid. i wouldn't even touch anything red/yellow/ or crimson before this game.

WE ARE...

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
10/01/05 11:17 AM

Your still have about an hour. GO BACK TO THE STORE!!

Amylase
(Walk On)
10/01/05 11:31 AM

ok I'm going back to the store...at about 60 cents a packet I guess I can afford it...plus I need more salsa anyway.

That tropical punch kool-aid in the blue box is very misleading arg, I even looked at the back and thought b/c it had blue in it it would be blue.

I think the only blue kool aid they have is berry blue.

I was going to save it for after the game and then remembered we are playing Ohio next week.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/01/05 04:03 PM

To all those who didn't seem to want to join for the past 4 games ... ARE YOU BELIEVERS NOW?

Sign up now ... membership only 1 case of beer at the Ohio State (SUCKS)game ...

WE ARE!!!

OldPSUfan
(Coach)
10/01/05 04:17 PM

PENN STATE.

Amylase
(Walk On)
10/01/05 04:35 PM

I believe this now puts us as the only undefeated big 10 team along w/Wisconson

camelspider
(Athletic Director)
10/01/05 04:51 PM

After today there will be just 13 undefeated teams. And we're one of them.

I'll wait on the KoolAid until after OSU and Michigan. Until then -- Start making your bowl reservations, if you haven't already!!!

Blue&White
(Hall of Famer)
10/01/05 05:12 PM
WE ARE!!!!!

Then I saw Penn State!
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
I'm enthralled oooooh
I'm a believer, I couldn't doubt us if I tried

Ok, I'm ready to join. I thought we had a chance today but never expected to crush the Gophers like that. It was just awesome! I thought that was the toughest O we would face all year. I figured we could put points up, but never ever thought we would smack them down like that.

After that, I'm officially drinking the kool aide.

markAdministrator
(Nittanyaholic)
10/01/05 05:21 PM
Re: WE ARE!!!!!

Ummmm, yea. I rode the fence on this game. I said that I wanted to see a team play all four quarters. I wanted a team that concentrated on not turning the ball over and performing to their potential on offense and defense. I wanted a team who believe in themselves so that I can believe in them.

I got what I wanted. Where do I sign to start drinking the kool-aid?

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/01/05 05:22 PM

Ain't it great, BW!!! That was a game that was played the way we all have been wanting to see them play for years.

I'm sorta shocked, to be honest. But when you see the talent on that field, I guess it shouldn't be that shocking.

This is just so great....!!!!!!!

And I'll buy your first Kool-Aid if you don't mind. It's on Hondo!

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/01/05 05:23 PM

Come in on, Mark!!! The Kantina's been waiting for you.

I would love to know what others in the Big Ten are thinking.

BTW, did anybody hear about DWill? I saw him limp off the field late in the game.

joe
(Split End)
10/01/05 05:28 PM

hondo..i made the remark during the in game thread..but he was out later on the kick off and the drive they put in the 2nd string

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/01/05 05:32 PM

WHEW!!!

Thanks!!

smellycat
(Free Safety)
10/01/05 08:48 PM

BOOOO.......the SportsCenter announcer just made two Kool Aide references about ND.

He don't even know....

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
10/02/05 05:35 AM

I've made earlier references to buying, drinking and passing the Kool-Aid, etc & pretty much tend to believe we can do it...but now I'm making it official, I want in the Kantina.

Wow...haven't read the papers or watched the tape yet, & have some things to do, but this was the first thread I wanted to stop at. Back in a bit to read what everybody has to say...for me right now its simple:

WOW!

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
10/02/05 06:22 AM

OK everyone, I need help. I will be starting my tailgate next week about 10. I will be offering Kool-Aid to anyone walking by. I'll either be in Red 1654 or 1662, just off the south end of the stadium. Now, what I need help with. I want to make a sign to hang up about NF.com and the Kool-Aid Kantina. I need some suggestions about what to put on the sign.

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
10/02/05 06:37 AM

Oh and BTW. I have less artistic ability in my whole body than the worst artist among the rest of you has in the tip of their little finger.

thenewlama
(Split End)
10/02/05 06:56 AM

I feel my sobriety slipping - caught myself looking at dates and locations of bowls AFTER Christmas.

Two notes for those not in PA you might find it interesting just how many people got off the bandwagon.

1. The scalpers had fists full of tix at 3:15pm yesterday. Tix going below face value!

2. The local stores in Lehigh Valley (Champs, Modells, Schuykill(sp?) Valley) have virtually no PSU stuff out - only replica jersey is #12. Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, and Miami have as much rack space as PSU.

MKH
(Lion Shrine)
10/02/05 07:34 AM

I'll tell you this, the ratio of PSU to Pitt gear you see around here is way up. It's great. Haven't been to any sporting goods stores lately, but presumably they are still chock full of Panther crap.

BillFromPA
(Walk On)
10/02/05 10:14 AM

On my first visit to the Kantina, make mine a double. Apologies if this has been answered, but has any team at our level ever gone from 4-7 or worse to a national title? If we run the table is there any senario in which we don't get into the title game? If I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid, I may as well chug it.

BillFromPA

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
10/02/05 11:25 AM

If any two teams of the following go undefeated, we're out.
USC
Texas
Va Tech

Any others I think we can make a case.

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
10/02/05 11:31 AM

Forgot FSU. For them to be undefeated they will have to beat Va Tech.

psu80
(Split End)
10/02/05 12:05 PM

Forgive me Kool-Aid Kantina, for I have sinned. It happened on Saturday morning, while taking 4 buddies to the game. I've taken most of these buddies to several games over the past few years, and they haven't seen too many PSU wins. Well, about 5 miles from State College, one of them asks me about PSU's chances against the Gophers. ... I hesitated, and gave a nervous chuckle (Yes, that's right, I hesitated before giving my answer). I said that IF PSU:
- plays all 4 quarters.
- contains Maroney
- has no turnovers
- has no stupid penalties
.... Then, PSU should be able to stay with Minnesota. I'm sorry that I had any doubts about this team.

By the way, there seemed to be many tickets for sale outside the stadium. We ended up in section WJ, with tickets significantly under face value.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/02/05 03:53 PM

Quote:

OK everyone, I need help. I will be starting my tailgate next week about 10. I will be offering Kool-Aid to anyone walking by. I'll either be in Red 1654 or 1662, just off the south end of the stadium. Now, what I need help with. I want to make a sign to hang up about NF.com and the Kool-Aid Kantina. I need some suggestions about what to put on the sign.

Flier ... I'm in, anything I can do to help let me know. (pm or on here) I'm not much into the artistic stuff either, but I'm down for more as far as the promotion/set up/regulating of the tailgate. Actually I know a LOT of people coming up for the game so we'll have our tailgate as well, but I'd love to stop by and drink some (I said if we were 5-0 I'd provide the vodka or whatever you guys want for the Kool-Aid, and I'm a man of my word) Kool-Aid with all of you. Perhaps we could set a time to all meet up, have a few drinks, sing a few songs ... etc ANYONE ELSE???

Ohio State has it's buckeyes
Up north the wolverines
BUT THE MIGHTY NITTANY LION'S THE BEST THEY'VE EVER SEEN...

HAIL TO THE LION

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
10/02/05 04:09 PM

Walt, looking forward to this weekend.

I've been thinking about a sign. Maybe "Take a sip. Join the Kool-Aid Kantina with NittanyFootball.com".
or Drink it up.
or especially for all the students, Chug to the Lions.
Any other sugestions.

psubob
(Athletic Director)
10/02/05 04:19 PM

Since the Kool Aid theme seems to be decided on, maybe we should skip the happy valley references and refer to SC as JOESTOWN this weekend.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/02/05 04:26 PM

I like the idea Bob, but I don't think the Valley has been as happy in a long time as it will be in the week leading up to this game ...

If Gameday is coming to SC this weekend, is anyone going to go? I'd love to make a sign and get NF.com some pub, and get the Kantina some pub. Any ideas for signs referencing either?

Another idea would be JoePa's face on the Uncle Sam army recruiting posters saying We Want ... and list the recruits names ... especially ...

McCoy
Odrick
Logan-El
I. Williams

That might get their attention ...

Though most of them will actually be at the game anyway...

anyone artistic enough or computer skilled enough to pull this off???

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/02/05 06:44 PM

Bob and Walt, I love your ideas. JOESTOWN is really great. JOEPA WANTS YOU! is also a GREAT, GREAT idea. I'm thinking of quitting my job and moving to JOESTOWN for the next 8 days...man my wife will be steamed!

Bob, thanks for the info on the tix. As I'm a little strapped for cash, do you think there's even a chance in hell I can get a ticket for less than that if I wait it out til just before the game???

PSU is soooooooooo BACK!

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
10/03/05 08:20 AM

I won't be serving kool-aid, but the OL cantina is stocked to the hilt with margaritas and southwestern faire for the NF.commers and should be set up no later than 2:30PM. Stop by early because the cuisine is limited (but the margaritas will be plentiful). Easy to locate as it's the first Row behind the press box, across from the first aide station by Gate B. We'll be in Space #1159 in a 2006 Silver HHR.
Flier, would love to come by to say hello, but Mr. OL isn't mobile...so if you can get away for a few minutes stop by. PM me with your e-mail and I'll try to get those angel photos for you to check out.

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
10/03/05 11:10 AM

OL, email is on the way. I'm looking forward to meeting you and Mr OL. I'll be by with some Kool-Aid if there's any left. By then hopefully will have inducted many more PSU fans into the Kantina.

FloydRTurbo
(Lion Shrine)
10/03/05 11:41 AM

I just counted 50 folks (including 26 anonymous) in the NF.com Kantina at 2:40 on a Monday. I guess that interest is growing.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/05/05 08:35 PM

So ... where is the kantina meeting this weekend?

I'm not sure where our tailgate spot will be Saturday (obviously I'm stuck in some yellow spot) ... you rich more aged alums who are in the Kantina ... where should we meet up?

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/08/05 09:18 PM

Walt, call the contractors. We need to build an addition onto the Kantina...and FAST!!!!!

And order as much Kool-Aid as you can. These next few weeks will be crazy.

I said 12 and OHHHH YEAH 8 weeks ago. I sure as hell ain't seeing anything to make me change my prediction. It's still going to be a tough, tough road, but PSU can do it because they are that good.

OldPSUfan
(Coach)
10/08/05 09:20 PM

I believe..... sing the song, Hondo.

smellycat
(Free Safety)
10/08/05 10:20 PM

It's official. Penn State is back.
Quote:

It was over when... When Penn State's Tamba Hali sacked Troy Smith, knocked the ball loose and it was recovered by Scott Paxson with about a minute and a half left. PSU ran the clock out for the statement victory.
Gameball goes to... OK, there's no other choice -- Joe Paterno. Funny, those chants of "Joe Must Go" have disappeared with Penn State's 6-0 start.

Uh, defense battle anyone? Total yards - OSU: 230, PSU: 195.

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
10/09/05 12:45 PM

THE BEAST IS BACK!

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/09/05 09:00 PM

An addition Hondo? ... It truly is a Nittany Nation now.

Remember about 7 weeks ago when Hondo, myself, and GKline were the fanatics? (and viewed as crazy?... wait I think some of you even still thought that last week.)

Well there's still plenty of Kool-Aid to go around. We welcome all. We just demand an appology for not believing after the first 5 games.

Something to the tune of:

"Forgive me JoePa for I have sinned. It has been 5 years since my last confession. During that time I have lost faith in my religion. I have lost faith in you, JoePa. I have lost faith in THE PENN STATE WAY. Well JoePa, YOU WERE RIGHT..."

WE ARE!!!

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/09/05 09:02 PM

Also, welcome all you Crimson Kool-Aid drinkers. Good luck the rest of your season as well (Until we put a mighty hurting on you in the Rose Bowl). If that truly is a Bama contingent, I am impressed with their class coming on the board and wishing us well. If it's just one guy making up several names ... that's kinda lame. But still good luck Bama until January 4th

The 12th Man
(Walk On)
10/10/05 09:52 AM

Hey Walt, don't forget me! I think I should get some extra credit for getting the "12-0 WE BELIEVE" sign on the tube this weekend! Yeah, that's me and my two brothers who run around the stadium in the uniforms and ugly masks leading cheers. Sorry, but I didn't have the skill to put the Kool-Aid man on the sign. I'll see what I can do for this weekend however, because I haven't missed a PSU vs Michigan game yet, and I'm not about to start now! Cheers!

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
10/13/05 01:54 AM

12th Man,

Are you really the guy in the uniform and mask? I saw the sign. I thought it looked like it came straight off the Kool-Aid Kantina thread.

I'm not sure where the block of Penn State seats are, but if you get by Section 3, Row 6, I'll be the overweight (but not obese) Penn State guy with a kid. Its going to be my 12 year old son's first college football game anywhere (except the living room TV) and my first game at the big house. I'll be cheering my head off.

Anybody else from the Kantina going to be there? I didn't make it out for the gatherings the last 2 weeks. But I'll be in Ann Arbor this weekend and in Champaign, Illinois next. I'm mixing up the blue Kool-Aid. What mixers should I bring?

PS: Whoever's in charge around here, we let the Kool-Aid Kantina thread fall off the first page again.

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/13/05 05:18 AM

Quote:

PS: Whoever's in charge around here, we let the Kool-Aid Kantina thread fall off the first page again.

I think the Kantina thread is getting less action because people aren't so surprised that PSU is winning. I'm glad to see somebody post here once in a while because it's such a positive and fun thread.

That's great that you are making the Meatchicken and Illinois games. Do you live near either of those venues or are you and the boy gettin' your Official Kool-Aid Kantina Travel Bags and headin' west?

I didn't see the sign 12th Man was carrying, but I taped the game so I can go back and look. Was there a Kantina Reference?????!!!! That would be too cool.

I love the Kantina and wish everybody would just drop by here each day to "have a drink", just like you would do at your favorite watering hole. As one of the founding members of the Kantina, I should and will make a point to be here each week day, as well.

Hondo

Can anybody turn this photo into the Kool-Aid Kantina?

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/13/05 02:59 PM

12th man ... That's awesome. I always wanted to meet you guys, but am usually a few sheets to the wind by the time I get into the stadium and at that point don't care as long as we win. Or in the past few years as long as we don't get blown out.

You are a welcome addition to the Kantina, and now we have a "face", if you will, for our little movement.

On a side note, I do sense some apathy among the crowd. I still feel a lot of you are taking a wait and see approach with this team. Yeah we're good and we've made it this far, but we still have work to do. Well it's TRUE ... however, we ARE going to be 12 and OH YEAH!!!

gkline176
(Free Safety)
10/13/05 04:29 PM

Kool Aid anytime tastes good. There is still room aboard this train

Chicago Lion
(Split End)
10/13/05 05:01 PM

I am thinking you can start drinking water and still be talked into to the idea that we may run the table....

thenewlama
(Split End)
10/13/05 05:02 PM

If they end the UM curse I'm on an all Kool-Aid diet

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
10/13/05 09:32 PM

Hondo,

I am only about 70 miles away from Champaign, Illinois. I have not missed a Penn State game at Illinois since we joined the Big Ten. Michigan is going to be a longer haul, but I figured I should go on up there and see what all the fuss is about.

Take em one at a time, but 12 and 0 at the end.

We ARE!!!

smellycat
(Free Safety)
10/13/05 10:52 PM

PSU Cycling is on board!

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/14/05 05:37 AM

Smelley, I don't know how you do that voodoo you do with the pictures, but please do something with the Kantina I posted above if possible. I would love to have an actual "Place" for us all to throw down a few Kool-Aids!

The 12th Man
(Walk On)
10/14/05 08:16 AM

Hi all, Mr. H, I had a sign that read " The Valley is Happy Again, Congrats Joepa" on one side and "12-0, WE BELIEVE" on the other. I didn't have enough time to put together a new sign for this week, but if any of you do, I'll be at the pep rally and in the front row of the Penn State section so I can get it on tv if someone can get it to me. One of my two brothers is going with me, so we should be easy to spot. I for one, am still absolutely certain that we can win all the rest of our games and I'll be at every one exept Illinois to help make it happen. Cheers

smellycat
(Free Safety)
10/14/05 08:45 AM

Here ya go!

Also found a sweet Halloween idea for you Hondo!

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/14/05 08:57 AM

We need more fans like you, 12th Man. Your name says it all!!

For the UM game, just have a sign that says "The Kool Aid Kantina and PSU! NF.com" on front and

PSU and JOEPA
Aiming for th
Bowl
Championship Game!!

OH, YEAH!!!

MrHondo
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
10/14/05 08:59 AM

SMELLY IS DA MAN!!!

That is absolutely the best!!! I knew you'd come through. It's nice to finally have a home for the Kool-Aid drinkers thanks to Smelly Construction!!!!

smellycat
(Free Safety)
10/15/05 09:49 PM

Sorry, this is sadistic, but appropriate.

I'm still onboard! This loss may have actually galvanized the PSU faithful as well as the Kantina, and given us something to prove from here on out. We still control our own destiny in the Big110. We need to TCOB from here on out! Revenge is a great motivator!

gkline176
(Free Safety)
10/15/05 10:39 PM

For gosh sakes folks we have one loss and still lead the big ten. If we play like we did today, minus the D miscues and fumbles we could win out and be big 10 champs. With all the favors out there did you actually think PSU would be in the rose bowl at 12-0? come on, the polls, and NCAA have it in for PSU and would never let this happen. Let's win out, be big 10 champs go to a BCS bowl and look forward to a MNC next year. The one thing I don't want to see is the fans and this team giving up. We are to great and can do amazing things. Let's beat ILL and move on

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
10/16/05 03:50 AM

Despite the disappointment, I think the team has too much heart to give up...I don't expect to see them mail it in, but bounce back with a vengance if for no other reason than the captains & their leadership. Fans will likewise be OK, even if we're down now. Expectations were high, there's been a let down, a little air has been left out of the baloon, we lost for any number of reasons we choose to pick or believe...but we're still 6-1 and before the season started, many thought 6-5 was the best case scenario.

I'd love to go to Arizona....LET'S GO STATE!

smellycat
(Free Safety)
10/16/05 06:14 AM

gkline, thanks for repeating the point of my post in different words.

gkline176
(Free Safety)
10/16/05 06:24 AM

Always here to help

Blue&White
(Hall of Famer)
10/16/05 06:29 AM

Quote:

With all the favors out there did you actually think PSU would be in the rose bowl at 12-0? come on, the polls, and NCAA have it in for PSU and would never let this happen.

Hands down, the most pathetic thing ever written on this board. I'm really tired of this whole "woe is us, everyone hates us" crap.

The BCS is a crappy system and teams get screwed every single year. This mentality that it's nothing but a grand conspiracy to screw Penn State is pathetic. I'm really tired of all the whining about our lot in life.

News Flash: We have sucked 4 out of 5 seasons and haven't earned the benefit of the doubt. Get over it.

Btw, I agree with the sentiment that there is no reason to give up on this team, though. We can still win out the rest of the season and carry the Big 10.

WE ARE!

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/16/05 06:41 AM

I really hate the BCmesS because teams don't get the chance to play each other ... every team plays a different schedule, and it can't be decided on a field. At least going through a playoff you can say you either beat or lost to a team that lost to a team or beat a team (so everyone has the chance). I think we'll see a playoff being set up in the next 5 years if there are AGAIN more than 2 undefeated teams this year ... which is what I'm now rooting for.

I agree nothing is set up to screw PSU, but it screws every team not atop the polls or media friendliness...

We SHOULD be undefeated and have a chance. But teams in the NFL don't go undefeated and still have the chance to win the Lombardi trophy in a PLAYOFF. Same should go for Division 1 college football...

THAT IS THE ONLY THING I HATE ABOUT COLLEGE FOOTBALL... I JUST WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING I CAN DO!!!

Blue&White
(Hall of Famer)
10/16/05 06:42 AM

There is. Stop watching and attending the bowl games until they institute a playoff. Of course, millions of people have to agree to the boycott or its useless.

This sham is allowed to continue because fans continue to watch and the system continues to make lots and lots of money.

LioninVa
10/16/05 07:01 AM

I am also still onbard the kool-aid drinking kantina. I don't think we will go 12-0 anymore, but I had my doubts about playing UM in AA. I always do...

AS for a 12-0 Penn State getting to the Rose Bowl... since it no longer matters, I think that a team that comes out of nowhere into the top 5 should be considered just as much as a team that started at #1 or 2. I know it probalby wouldn't have happened that way, but that's what I think. Of course, it a moo point now

smellycat
(Free Safety)
10/16/05 09:13 AM

Quote:

I don't think we will go 12-0 anymore

You sure about that?

The 12th Man
(Walk On)
10/18/05 06:57 AM

Hi all, I'm still in the Kool-Aid Kantina too. I actually thought we would go 12-0, by winning a bowl game other than the Rose Bowl and get screwed out of National Championship game anyway, so this doesn't really change anything. We can still have a GREAT season and lots of fun in Tempe! We just have to remember that these are a bunch of 18-22 year olds doing their best. Yes, it was one of the most heartbreaking losses I can remember, but for those of us who were there, it was also a blast and a game I'll never forget. I'm happy because it was a great game and I learned long ago to divorce my capacity to enjoy a game from the outcome. I am still convinced this team can beat everyone on this schedule, and I think they will. I'll be there cheering my lungs out and having fun either way. Cheers

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
10/27/05 11:37 AM

My Southern Baptist Friends want to know if the Kool Aid is non-alcoholic......(Gulp)

RoarLions
(Hall of Famer)
10/28/05 08:52 AM
Re: Kool-Aid Kantina membership *DELETED*

Post deleted by RoarLions

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/31/05 07:33 PM

Well ... I'll tell ya ... at the beginning of this year I didn't really BELIEVE we would be 12-0 ... I always hold out that hope for PSU football ... but I was spoiled by a LOT of good teams and being around that with my family when I was younger. The last few years have really hurt for me ... but every year I thought we could be good, and things just didn't break our way.

I think we should be 9-0 ... I think something has to be done about the way replay works, and PSU could be 9-0. That's not an excuse, it's just the way I and a lot of other people feel (and not even just because of the Meatchicken game).

If you'da told me we'd be 8-1 after that South Florida slopfest ... I'da taken it ... I don't think we coulda beaten USC this year anyway ... but I also truly believe if you put USC, Virginia Tech, or Texas in the Big11 ... none of them would end the season undefeated. That's probably why there have been 3 teams in the last 15 yearsish to run the tables undefeated through the Big11 ... and until there is a playoff ... why it will be hard for a Big11 team to win a national championship. I'm not saying it can't be done. Look at OSU and things just fell right for them a few years ago.

I am a big playoff proponent, but I have no power ... I do believe in a playoff this year, PSU COULD make the finals. The Big11 season prepares you for that type of run a heck of a lot more than playing in the Pac10 or Big12 this year... it's just a shame we'll never know because 2 seconds and a catch out of bounds won't allow it (not that we'd be in the top 2 either way ... but a guy can dream)

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
11/02/05 07:04 PM

I for one would love to see a playoff much like the NCAA basketball tourney. We could select the top 16 and go from there. Wait, would that put tOSU in the Play-IN game?

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
11/14/05 09:44 PM

Barkeep, this round's on me and make mine a Shirley Temple.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
11/19/05 04:30 PM

FUNNY ...

GKline
Hondo
and myself were the ones who look smart now ...

gee when would anyone have believed that would happen?

Now just pray for a 2 of 3 USC/Texas/Miami loss ...

hey it's possible ... still a lot of football to be played!!!

gkline176
(Free Safety)
11/19/05 05:02 PM

That's right. Lots O funny comments when we said this back in in July/Aug now the Katinia is rolling. Onto the orag....err hopefully Rose Bowl

WE ARE BIG TEN CHAMPS

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
11/19/05 05:31 PM

Hey, the fire marshall just called. You guys are going to have to build an addition A.S.A.P.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
11/19/05 08:14 PM

#3 in the BCmesS ... I still hate it but we're #3 and 1 upset away from playing in Pasadena as it should be!!!

canman
(Outside Linebacker)
11/20/05 10:22 AM

OK, I guess I've seen enough now to drink the Kool Aid. Who's pouring?

thenewlama
(Split End)
11/20/05 06:34 PM

Since the season is in the bank here's my list of boy was I wrongs

Season Prediction : 6-5 way, way off

Thought OSU and UM were lock losses and we won both (we beat UM but not the zebras)

Thought Robinson was best left at receiver due to lack of depth and the frosh give us our best receiving core ever and MRob will likely be B10 MVP as QB

As it goes coaches catch the crap in the bad time - got to give them the props in the good times

Here's to toasting the New Year with blue Kool Aid

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
11/25/05 11:24 AM
A little Kool Aid with the Thanksgiving leftovers

Pass the Kool Aid, and cancel those reservations in Miami. A&M is giving Texas a game!

Pasadena here we come!!!

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
01/21/06 04:15 AM
Re: A little Kool Aid with the Thanksgiving leftovers *DELETED*

Post deleted by Auntie216

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
01/21/06 06:47 AM
Re: A little Kool Aid with the Thanksgiving leftov

Is it too early to start up the Kool-Aid Kantina for 2006? I guess I should wait until after the B/W game. With the list of recruits this year and last, I am getting excited already. A win over Notre Lame would really increase the membership. We are undefeated in 2006. Until we lose, pass the blue stuff.

gkline176
(Free Safety)
01/21/06 07:45 AM

It is never too early for the Kool Aid. ESPN pre 2006 has us #13 and we are ready to move up

Walt04
(Head Coach)
01/21/06 07:58 AM

As a founding father of the Kool-Aid Kantina ... I hereby decree that as it is the year 2006, the doors are henceforth open and we are now accepting applications for new membership for the 2006 Kool-Aid Kantina.

13 and 0 YEAH ...

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
01/26/06 04:32 PM

Better stock up early this year. The Kantina is gonna be full before homecoming this season.

psubalt
(Head Coach)
01/26/06 05:30 PM

Sign me up for '06. Are there any hazing rituals I need to go through?

psuro
(Hall of Famer)
01/26/06 05:36 PM

You have to drive to NYC, and by Blue&White a beer.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
01/26/06 07:13 PM

Just downing one of OL's margaritas pre-game ... with some blue kool aid ...

You're my boy BLUE!!!

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
01/26/06 07:44 PM

Let me get this straight...are we encourging Drinking AND Driving? Who are we, Va Tech?
"Do Hokies have large talons?"

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
01/26/06 08:09 PM

Quote:

Let me get this straight...are we encourging Drinking AND Driving? Who are we, Va Tech?

Nah...two separate phases of hazing. The pre-season ritual is to drive to NYC and buy B&W a beer. Then the GameDay Ritual is to have the Kool-Aid Margaritas in the Blue Cups at my tailgate!

Nat@PSU
01/26/06 08:52 PM

I don't know if Hokies have talons, but I do know that if you were to hunt them, you'd use a twelve guage . . . what else?

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
01/28/06 11:04 AM

"What would you do in a situation like that?"
"Sorry can't find my checkbook, gonna have to pay you boys in free shoes and hookers"...Bubba Bowden

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/22/06 12:10 AM
A new year, same blue drink

The Kantina is open for business. Come one come all, we're a welcoming bunch ... but names of bandwagoners will be taken ... and per Jimmy Buffett 'trespassers will be offered a shot'.

11 days from now ... we'll begin our march toward another Big11 title ...

13 - and - OH YEAH!!!

Drink it up while the drinking's good.

appoo
(Hall of Famer)
08/22/06 07:12 AM
Re: A new year, same blue drink

Bah.

who needs Kool-aid. Just have faith in your team.

glensidefan
(Defensive Coordinator)
08/22/06 03:23 PM

Quote:

Bah.

who needs Kool-aid. Just have faith in your team.

what a difference a year makes?

i am on board. i like my kool-aid with booze.

Crowbar
08/22/06 03:35 PM

I would like to add my name to the member's list.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
08/22/06 05:14 PM

Quote:

what a difference a year makes?

i am on board. i like my kool-aid with booze.

We're the #2 party school for a reason

tidoublemy
(Outside Linebacker)
08/22/06 08:23 PM

I'm in as well! Part of my pre-game ritual last year was drinking a batch of this stuff according to the recipe posted by PSUBob last year.. OK, it doesn't end up looking quite blue when it's all mixed together but I'm a little colorblind so it works for me.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
08/23/06 03:20 AM

They can call me a homer or whatever. I'm in. I believe that Penn State reloads (plugs all the holes everyone is talking about) goes undefeated and wins it all. Please add my name to the roll.

I'm so anxious for the season to start, in the last 5 nights I have watched tapes of last season's games against Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin and Michigan State. I turned the Michigan tape off at the end of regulation after the incomplete pass. I didn't watch the extra 2 seconds that the refs gave to Lloyd.

Final thought for now. Shouldn't we start a new threat for the 2006 Kool Aid Kantina?

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
08/23/06 09:02 AM

Kool-Aid is Kool-Aid my friend.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
08/23/06 07:00 PM

Maybe it's just 'cause i'm fat, but can we start serving food at the Kantina as well?
"Here's your blue kool-aid and funnel sir...now how about a little fried kangaroo to wash that down with?

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
08/23/06 08:12 PM
Re: A new year, same blue drink *DELETED*

scottopus
(Outside Linebacker)
08/24/06 07:29 AM

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
08/24/06 09:19 AM

Haha...if that keeps up you should probably see a doctor about that.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/01/06 04:26 PM
Re: 2006 Kool-Aid Kantina

Its mighty lonely in the Kantina. I guess all the regular posters on this Board really believe that this team is going to lose one or more games this year. I know it is a tough schedule and the team has a few holes to fill from last year. BUT I REALLY DO BELIEVE. THIS TEAM WILL GO UNDEFEATED IN 2006.

Come on everyone. Get on board. I'm headed out to stock up on Blue Kool-Aid supplies just because I know you will all eventually be here.

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
09/01/06 06:33 PM

I'm nearly always optimistic, 88...& this year is no exception. My Blue-White tinted glasses didn't get much use in the down years, I heard about it from many and got as tired as anybody with the losing. So it won't be a shock to many, but I'm a homer & I expect big things this year from this group of kids...put my glass on the bar, I'm with ya.

21 Hours.

WE ARE.......................................

Goblue
(Long Snapper)
09/01/06 07:01 PM

So I was just wondering what color the sky is on planet Kantina.....

psuro
(Hall of Famer)
09/01/06 07:28 PM

Blue and white - God's personal favorite color combination.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
09/03/06 12:32 AM
Re: 2006 Kool-Aid Kantina *DELETED*

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
09/04/06 03:54 PM

Want this back up top. Looking for members.

WE ARE
PENN STATE-45
ugly midgets-24

psubalt
(Head Coach)
09/04/06 06:01 PM

I've felt like we were going to beat ND for about 8 months. I still feel that way.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/04/06 07:31 PM

I am a little more worried about the offensive line and the running game than I would like to be, but I am still on board. 13 and 0. Next stop South Bend.

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/05/06 08:59 AM

I'm on board....I'm packing ALL of my game winning paraphanalia and hauling it back to Cali to bring home the win versus the Domers......including my Zombie Nation pompoms (which hopefully will be dry by tomorrow's flight time). The Margarita Kantina will be open for business on Saturday!

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/09/06 03:06 AM

Back to the top with the Kantina.

I am all ready. I've got my supplies of Blue Kool-Aid and various different adders. I'll be mixing the blue stuff several different ways starting at 7:00 AM Central time. ESPN Classic is playing the 1986 Penn State victory over Notre Dame at that time. Going to have to pace myself so I can make it all the way through the real-time game.

Before the game - a few dozen more viewings of the video clip about the "Penn State 2006 Victory Tour - Coming to South Bend 9/9/06". Then for the fun of it a few dozen more viewings of "the Gun" video clip featuring Morelli's Blue-White game clips. [these should both be linked over in the video thread]

All of you who are on board with the blue Kool-Aid - stop on by before or during the game. Those of you who still have doubts - we will see you here after Penn State pulls off the victory.

WE ARE ...

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
09/09/06 11:41 AM

It's week 2 and we're still undefeated. Pass me a funnel. BTW...shouldn't the Kantina have a bouncer to keep out the undesirables?

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
09/09/06 11:42 AM

I'm still here, but not waiting to belly up to the communal bar. Don't have the blue kool aid, but the beer is cold and ready.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/10/06 03:05 AM

Well, the blue Kool-Aid was good with vodka. The hangover is a different matter all together. 12 and 0 is out the window, but I still see some good things on the horizon for Penn State this year, even though today was not a good day.

So, do we close down the Kantina until 2007, or do we shoot for 11 and 1 and another Big Ten Championship with a BCS bowl game win as a kicker? I say the team grew a lot today, and that they can pull it off.

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
09/10/06 08:22 AM

I'm not ready to close up yet.

PSUPappy
(Hall of Famer)
09/10/06 09:16 AM

Its gotta get better than yesterday. Its gotta, its gotta, its gotta.

psuro
(Hall of Famer)
09/10/06 09:22 AM

It will, it will, it will.

September is a killer month...still have a trip to Columbus, and that could be brutal. After that, save the Michigan game, I think PSU will do well. People seem to be worried about Purude and Wisky, but at this point, I am not.

Next year, OSU and ND come to our place, and they lose some key elements of thier team.

Nat@PSU
09/10/06 09:48 AM

Quote:

Next year, OSU and ND come to our place, and they lose some key elements of thier team.

This doesn't provide me with any solice. I thought the whole off season we were all talking about how PSU was "back." The only thing we're "back" to being is a mediocre team who can't win a decent game on the road.

The most depressing part of this loss is that ND really wasn't all that good and will most likely be exposed sometime this year. So where does that leave us?

Yesterday felt waaaaaaaaaaay too much like the dark ages.

We shouldn't have to comfort ourselves by saying "next year the teams who killed us this week will be weaker and we play them at home, so we should have a shot." This sucks. I hate to be a downer, but this is just downright depressing

gkline176
(Free Safety)
09/10/06 10:07 AM

This is the best, most reasoned post I have read anywhere today. Great points. I too feel like the dark days. What I saw yesterday made me sick.

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/10/06 11:25 AM

Quote:

This is the best, most reasoned post I have read anywhere today. Great points. I too feel like the dark days. What I saw yesterday made me sick.

I disagree wholeheartedly at this moment.......but a lot depends on how the team handles this loss. In the dark days, they'd go out and get drunk and play poorly the following week. My hope is that they realize that the leprachaun jumped us because we were tentative and unfocused, and regain the focus. The key is that team leaders take over and focus on the next game, not allowing the doubt to set in. The thing we miss the most this year with the loss of MRob, is his leadership. If Anthony can pick up from that, we'll be fine. I think back to the mistake ridden Northwestern game of last year. The difference there was that after each mistake, MRob looked forward. This team needs to do the same thing and good things will happen. We DO, however need to immediately find a solution to the FG fiasco.

tidoublemy
(Outside Linebacker)
09/10/06 05:04 PM

What do people really mean when they say we are or are not "back"? I understand this to mean that in the years 2000-2004, Penn State football ceased to be itself, and the hope we all have is that 2005 was not a fluke but a sign that things are back to the way they were for decades before.

For me, that "before" translates to 1985-1999 (1985 is when I started watching Penn State football.) During those years, there were 2 12-win seasons, 3 11-win seasons, 2 10-win seasons, 4 9-win seasons, 2 8-win seasons, 1 7-win season, and 1 5-win season. That averages out to a little over 9 wins per season.

I don't think it's fair to say that a loss to Notre Dame (however lopsided it was) means we're not "back". I would consider an 8-4 season this year to be a normal Penn State season in a rebuilding year. I'm hoping for better and I think this team is capable of better (though yesterday makes it hard to picture an upset in Columbus right now, we've certainly got the talent if we come in with the right attitude, right scheme, and some breaks go our way early.) But even if we end up 8-4, I don't think it means the dark ages are back.

That said, we also haven't proven that we are back yet either. Looking ahead at the schedule I don't think we're going to know the answer to that until after the Minnesota game. That is, unless we either lose a game we're supposed to win or win a game we're supposed to lose before that. I'd prefer the latter.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
09/11/06 10:39 PM

Let's do a reality check people. It's one game. A game that we all wanted but honestly should not have been expected (and the key word is expected here) to take a young team into South Bend and win. I look at it this way...embarrasing as it was, at least we know what needs work and this should serve as a wake up call to our team and coaching staff alike. I'm not ready for my bar tab yet. We have a LOT more football left to play and i've still got a full bowl of pretzels so barkeep: pass the Kool Aid sir.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/12/06 03:36 AM

Rev,

What flavor of blue Kool-Aid do you want? Would you like "Berry Blue" or "Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade"? They were both very tasty with the Smirnoff Triple Distilled Vodka No. 57. I'll mix you up one of each.

The lease on the Kantina goes through the first 2 weeks of January, so let's keep it open for a while and see if the team can grow together and make the sour taste from 9-9-06 goes away.

psubalt
(Head Coach)
09/12/06 01:22 PM

I'm still chuggin'.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
09/12/06 01:23 PM

I'll take one of each and keep 'em coming. haha

psubalt
(Head Coach)
09/12/06 01:32 PM

Here's a good quote for the Kool-Aid drinkers:

"Joe would expect them to get together and go at it. In 1982, they lost badly to Alabama. The leaders got together and the team rebounded to win the national championship."

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/12/06 02:22 PM

I saw that at the press conference. I went straight to the frig for some more blue Kool-Aid. And boy was it good.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/12/06 06:59 PM

I checked the historic scores, and Joe was pretty close to the score of that 1982 loss to Alabama. It was 42 to 21. Penn State went on the run the rest of the table and win the National Championship.

1982-Penn State (Independent)

9/4 vs. Temple (4-7) W 31 14
9/11 vs. Maryland (8-4) W 39 31
9/18 vs. Rutgers (5-6) W 49 14
9/25 vs. Nebraska (12-1) W 27 24
10/9 vs. Alabama (8-4) L 21 42 @ Birmingham, AL
10/16 vs. Syracuse (2-9) W 28 7
10/23 @ West Virginia (9-3) W 24 0
10/30 @ Boston College (8-3-1) W 52 17
11/6 vs. North Carolina State (6-5) W 54 0
11/13 @ Notre Dame (6-4-1) W 24 14
11/26 vs. Pittsburgh (9-3) W 19 10
1/1 vs. Georgia (11-1) W 27 23 @ New Orleans, LA Sugar Bowl
11-1-0

Anyone else want some Kool-Aid?

Chicago Lion
(Split End)
09/12/06 09:07 PM

I need some kool-aid, otherwise I cant see much better than 8-4 when I look objectively. But, after some kool-aid....... I see things like this: We moved the ball well against ND. We shot ourselves in the foot too many times. They have a solid offense, but if we had held on the ball, we could have kept their O off the field. The Oline, my biggest worry this year, exceeded my expectations and I think will improve every week. YSU will make them even better. It is a confidence building game which will give great experience.

After a little more kool-aid, I can forsee the kicking game getting sorted out. When you think of kicking problems, I have never, ever before worried about the holder losing confidence. A little kool-aid to ganter will calm him down and get rid of his jitters.

11-1 here we come.....

psubalt
(Head Coach)
09/12/06 09:16 PM

I watched the ND game on Tivo and it actually made me feel better. It was 3-0 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. The botched FG, dropped INTs, Hunt fumble, and "clipping" call made a huge difference. Especially that Hunt fumble. Every bounce went ND's way too and things snowballed.

tidoublemy
(Outside Linebacker)
09/12/06 10:09 PM

1982 works for me. Though I have an easier time believing that we run the table than I have of us actually being voted into the MNC game if we run the table. But that's OK; the Kool-aid will be just as tasty in Pasadena.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/14/06 09:03 PM

The Kantina will remain open all year ... 11-1 ... I'd say that can still win us a Big11 title ... and put us in a post-New Year's Day bowl ... I'll go back somewhere warm in early 2007 ... Pasadena doesn't sound too bad.

I was thinking about starting a Kantina offshoot on the left coast anyway ...

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
09/14/06 09:32 PM

Quote:

I was thinking about starting a Kantina offshoot on the left coast anyway

Sorry to tell you Walt04......but the Kantina is already firmly implanted here in SoCal. The RoseBowl tailgate is ready to roll at a moment's notice...as I had it geared up until Fllllloyd spoiled my plans with those extra 2 seconds last fall!

Like Roar....I tried to bring back my signature from the beginning of last season, but alas the new software wouldn't let it show...so here it is to remind folks that the Kantina can be in Pasadena in about 60 minutes:

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/22/06 01:59 PM

The Blue Kool-Aid is ready early.

ESPN Classic is showing Ohio State vs Penn State at 3:00 PM central time today. I'm not 100% sure (can't tell from the TV Guide listing), but I think it is last year's game. I bet Penn State wins 17 to 10.

After that I think I'll break out the old tapes of the January 2, 1987 Fiesta Bowl against Miami and the 1994 game at Illinois. The first is to remember how to hit receivers so hard they are afraid to catch the ball so as to rattle and beat a Heisman Award Winner. The second is to remember how to face adversity and come back from behind on the road to overcome some early mistakes.

Anybody else want to add to the play list?

Farmer
(Walk On)
09/22/06 02:37 PM

I think ESPN Classic showed the 2001 OSU/PSU game on Wednesday, I recorded it on tivo to watch prior to the game to get pumped up.

LioninVa
09/22/06 02:44 PM

Last years game is on today at 4 (eastern).

psuro
(Hall of Famer)
09/22/06 02:50 PM

It's Friday, got my paycheck, and the 2005 game is on Classic at 4 PM EST?

Yeah...I am definetely skipping out early today.

Farmer
(Walk On)
09/22/06 02:57 PM

Quote:

Last years game is on today at 4 (eastern).

I am hoping to get them both in. One tonight and one tomorrow morning.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/23/06 02:51 AM

In my pregame celebrating tonight, I found a new blue drink for the Kantina. Its called a Black and Blue. It is basically a Long Island Ice Tea with Blue somthing and Raspberry something. I think one drink has 8 shots of alcohol. I had a couple and they kicked me hard. I think I'll get the recipe and be mixing them up for everyone at the post-game celebration. Hair of the dog and all. Come one - come all.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
07/28/07 11:56 PM

It's about time to dust off the tables and turn on that neon "Open" sign at the ole Kantina isn't it?

Crowbar
07/29/07 09:24 AM

As long as we change it to 2007 Kool-Aid Kantina.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
07/29/07 11:00 AM

I like where your head's at Rev ... I officially announce the Kantina's open for business ...

4 weeks, 6 days, 1 hour and 25 minutes from now, our quest for 13 and 0 begins ... let's drink up a little early ...

Join Early this year ... reservations are filling up fast ...

Boilermakers, Whisky, and Bloody Mary's (instead of Hail Mary's for you Catholics) are on me ... let's leave ND Bloody

glensidefan
(Defensive Coordinator)
07/30/07 01:11 PM

i am thirsty for some football. i have been away from the site for a while due to a new job and no football, but i vow to do my best spending more time on football and less working.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
07/30/07 09:55 PM

You gotta like a man who has his priorities straight. Welcome back Glenside. Let me buy you a round...(Non-alcoholic of course, hahaha)

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
07/30/07 10:34 PM
Re: 2007 Kool-Aid Kantina

There...changed the heading to reflect the upcoming season.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/22/07 04:28 AM

The Blue Kool-Aid punch is chilling. Since no one else has volunteered to man the Kantina today, I'll take the first shift. After all - I truly do believe. I was a student at Dear Old State when the 1985 and 1986 teams went undeafeated for the regular season back to back, played for the National Championship twice and won it once. I was a young professional not too long out of law school when the 1994 team went undeafeated and should in all rights have been the consensus National Champion or at least gotten to play Nebraska for the title. I have followed each year's team and never waivered in my support - through good times and bad. It is time to follow the 2007 team as they take Penn State to the top of the mountain again. I believe that there is greatness in them. I believe that we will see it today against Michigan and for the rest of the season.

Come on in. Get on board. Stop all this noise about how Michigan has our number. It will be a tough game. It will be a good game. But in the end Penn State will emerge victorious.

I'll see everyone here in the 2007 Kool-Aid Kantina after the game.

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
09/22/07 07:22 AM

We just need to be ahead at least nine points when they put the 2 seconds back on the clock.

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/22/07 11:09 AM

WE ARE!!!

I'm always at the Kantina ... let me buy everyone a round!

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/22/07 11:10 AM

PENN STATE !!!

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/22/07 07:19 PM

I guess I'll close up shop at the Kantina for the rest of the day. With the results of the game in AA, I don't expect to see anyone rolling in here tonight.

I'm not giving up on the 2007 team. I guess we just have to adjust our goals for this year a little. I'll be attending the Illinois game live and in person, so someone else will have to man the Kantina next Saturday or it will not be open. I'll take the shift for the Iowa game if no one else wants it.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
09/23/07 11:24 AM

"Hey waiter...Check Please."

RoarLions
(Hall of Famer)
09/23/07 11:43 AM

I want a refund.

BlairCountyLion
(Guard)
09/23/07 11:49 AM

WE NEED......

A GOOD BAR-ROOM BRAWL!

camelspider
(Athletic Director)
09/24/07 11:47 AM

Those of you who are happy with loyalty without results, apathy, and mediocrity, feel free to stay in the "Kantina" as long as you like.

Of course, like our current offensive coaching staff, you will never have to worry about being "let go" or replaced. You're hired for life!

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
09/12/08 10:08 PM

Hey barkeep...any of the blue stuff left on tap?

Walt04
(Head Coach)
09/14/08 09:06 AM
2008 Kool-Aid Kantina

Quote:

Hey barkeep...any of the blue stuff left on tap?

Yes, we've done some remodeling and brought in some HD programming ... for your viewing pleasure, but we are definitely open for business. 24 hours a day/7 days a week through January 8, 2009 ...

I saw some kool-aid buyers on some other threads ... get it now ... Big11 season is just two weeks away ...

We ARE ...

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
09/14/08 01:32 PM
Re: 2008 Kool-Aid Kantina

PENN STATE !!!

BlueBand92
(Outside Linebacker)
10/12/08 09:16 PM

We're going to continue to run the table and play (and beat) Alabama for the MNC.

We're scary-good and I believe we can run with anyone, including all those in the SEC and Big 12. And I say that having watched the entire Oklahoma/Texas game.

There, I said it.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
10/12/08 10:16 PM

Now that the crowd is finally filing in...Karaoke anyone?

Walt04
(Head Coach)
10/12/08 10:32 PM

Everyone just remember, this is now a smoke-free bar ... there are laws in PA now.

Welcome, it's about time you all showed up. Unfortunately we are now at capacity and a cover charge must start, as well as a waiting list ...

Walt04
(Head Coach)
07/10/09 02:46 PM
2009 Kool-Aid Kantina

Is it just me or is everyone else bouncing off the walls anxious for this season?

I really see 12-0 coming down the pike.

I know I say that every year, but I think the 2009 schedule really benefits us. Young players get experience in the first 3 games against nobody's. Iowa comes to town and gets run-over in a white-out.

I don't think the road-games are a concern (who scares you? Illinois was a one-trick pony IMO the only thing being we're a young team and it's the 1st game on the road, Michigan State because of the pressure if we are 11-0 at that point - but I think we pass those tests).

Then a mid-season week against a 1AA school where we can rest-up and re-charge for a stretch run at the BCS title game.

I really do see 12-0 ...

That blue kool-aid sure is good during these warm (screw you Al Gore with your lie about global-warming - the planet is getting cooler, blame the sun but nothing else - sorry about my rant) summer days.

Rev. Nittany
(Tailback)
07/10/09 03:13 PM
Re: 2009 Kool-Aid Kantina

That very well may be the best post I have ever read. Next round is on me (Shirley Temples of course.)

PennState03Chris
(Hall of Famer)
07/10/09 03:25 PM

The BTN was replaying last season's MSU game, and it got me thinking about the upcoming season.

Norwood, Butler, and Williams will certainly be missed. However, I don't have any worries about replacing them, especially after seeing how well Zug and Brackett did last year. Add in Derek Moye, Chaz Powell, and the incoming freshmen, I doubt that we miss much of a beat.

My main concern with this squad lies with the offensive line. Talent does not appear to be an issue, however, it seems to always take our lines a year or two to really gel. If that ends up the case again this year, we'd better hope that we have a stifling defense.

If the offense has a "secret weapon" this year it may just be the tight ends. Andrew Quarless appears to have screwed his head on straight and wants to go out with a bang.

Defensively, the only area in which I see a fall-off in terms of talent is at DE. I'll have my eyes focused to see who is getting the reps opposite Jack Crawford. Having Jerome Hayes back on the field will be a positive, although I'm not sold on his abilities as a rush end.

The linebacking corp will be amongst the very best in the nation, and certainly better than last year's group. Replacing Hull with Lee and Sales with Mauti is a huge step up. We instantly gain more speed and coverage ability by having those two on the field.

That brings us to the secondary. The good? We are gaining a ton in athleticism. The bad? We lose game experience. perhaps the "bad" isn't really so bad after all. If Wallace, Lynn, Timmons, Sukay, Hodges and Astorino can be a step quicker in getting to the ball, we could finally see our secondary making some plays out there. What I took from watching the MSU game this morning was that our DBs were constantly a step slow in making the play on both the WR and the ball. Guys with the speed and athleticism of Wallace, Hodges and Co. should be able to close faster, make plays, and create turnovers.

My only other real concern with this team, aside from the OLine, is whether we'll have a reliable kicking game. If Wagner and Fera can't bring consistency and an ability to hit 40-45 yarders with ease, we had better get ready for some hair pulling and nail biting this Fall.

tempe
(Split End)
07/11/09 02:21 PM

ok - I scanned through these posts and didn't see any mention of coaching. A game loss could very well come down to the coaches - I have never been a fan of that split play calling thing. I think if State drops a game - it will be the coaches we look at. Take the Iowa game last year - coaching loss.

Blue&White
(Hall of Famer)
07/11/09 02:27 PM

It could be coaching. It could also be that we have a lot of new starters this coming year. Most likely it will be a combination of the two.

There is no reason we can't go 12 - 0 this year but I can't shake the feeling that we will drop a game we should have won, similar to Iowa. I really hope I'm wrong.

thenewlama
(Split End)
07/11/09 10:30 PM

Butler, Norwood, and Williams hold 3 of the top 4 spots on PSU's all time receiving list - if Norwood and Willaims hadn't missed a couple games due to injury they would be 1-2-3.

Most of what Bracket, Zug, Moye or Powell did was in blow-out time or when teams had their best coverage people on Butler, Norwood, and Williams.
They will benfit from Clark coming in with a year experience and I think these guys have some potential but to say PSU won't skip a beat is a stretch.

I can't say I'm bouncing off the walls, with the B10 being down and our OOC being a huge joke, half of Penn State's season will barely qualify as games.

Phil
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
07/12/09 05:40 AM

Quote:

ok - I scanned through these posts and didn't see any mention of coaching. A game loss could very well come down to the coaches - I have never been a fan of that split play calling thing. I think if State drops a game - it will be the coaches we look at. Take the Iowa game last year - coaching loss.

How about waiting until we lose a game to start assigning blame. Sheesh!!

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
07/12/09 09:11 PM

The interception which was thrown was not on the coaches. Neither was the interference call.

tempe
(Split End)
07/13/09 12:38 AM

Given the content of the posts above mine, the comment fits the context of the current thread. Im not blaming anyone for anything. I simply stated that a loss could come down to coaching - a novel concept around the Jaypa era. What I posted is called SPECULATING. I know thats a big word Phil you might want to look it up. As for the Iowa game never should have been that close. Plain and simple, Clark should not have played. Just look at the first play of the game. Say what you will, but I say that was a coaching loss. Sorry to taint the punch. But there it is.

Phil
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
07/13/09 06:25 AM

Quote:

What I posted is called SPECULATING.

No sh*t! Well let me SPECULATE. IF PSU loses a game, it could be coaching; it could be because a lineman missed a block in a key situation; it could be because a linebacker missed a tackle; it could be because Clark got hurt and we were too inexperienced with our backup QBs; it could be because a bad pass was intercepted; it could be because a running back slipped making a cut on a play that would have been an easy touchdown; it could be that an official blows a call; and on and on. My point is what's the point of SPECULATING on some hypothetical loss in a game that hasn't been played yet against an unknown opponent. And again with the Jay crap. I think he deserves some credit for Clark's development and the development of the offense that helped lead to last year's success.

camelspider
(Athletic Director)
07/13/09 11:39 AM

Just speculating here...

I understand we've got Iowa at home for the 2009 White-Out -- but the defense won't be tested before Iowa comes to town. And Iowa still has Stanzi and DJK. And Ferentz still has our number.

Illinois might be a one-trick pony, but they happen to have the best passing attack in the Big Ten outside of State College. Our defense won't hold them under 21, and you know how conservative on offense we like to play on the road, especially in the first road game of the year.

Michigan worries me because a) it's in Ann Arbor, b) they were actually winning 17-7 at one point last year, and 17-14 at halftime, and c) this is a revenge game for them.

Northwestern worries me, again because it's a road trip. Of the last five times we've played there, we've won three times with an average margin of victory of 3.6. Plus, it's a classic sandwich/trap game -- between Michigan and Ohio State.

Ohio State worries me for obvious reasons.

Michigan State is going to be circling the game with us on their calendar for their revenge game.

If I see PSU come through the first half of the schedule unbeaten, with the offense rolling and the defense stifling, I'll start sipping the Kool-Aid.

88 PSU Alum
(Split End)
07/13/09 01:13 PM

Pass me a glass Walt. I don't post much, but I have been a regular in the Kool-Aid Kantina for years. Set em up and knock em down - one at a time.

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
07/13/09 06:38 PM

Quote:

Pass me a glass Walt. I don't post much, but I have been a regular in the Kool-Aid Kantina for years. Set em up and knock em down - one at a time.

Since I bought season tickets in June of 2005, we've done pretty well, so I'll have a Kool-Aid margarita, and entreat those not imbibing to stop p***ing in our pitcher!

Go call out the coaches and players in one of the other threads.....this one is dedicated to 13-0 baby!

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
07/13/09 07:02 PM

Newcomer.

PSU Florida
(Athletic Director)
07/13/09 09:26 PM

2005???? Rookie.

psuro
(Hall of Famer)
07/13/09 10:34 PM

2005?

Pfft...back in my day, we used to tailgate uphill in the snow - barefoot.

oldlioness
(Hall of Famer)
07/13/09 11:06 PM

I may be a rookie, but I can party like it's 1999!

BTW.....I've decided that this year our tailgate will be a Fiesta every game. I've already started by designating every Saturday for the past 2 months as Fiesta Day in preparation for the season!

Nat@PSU
07/14/09 11:14 AM

Wait, so you just re-upped in 2005? This whole time I thought the Nittany Lions woes were my fault for attending the school from 2000-2004. Now we come to find out that it was your fault for not having season tickets during that time frame.

That sure is a relief.

Phil
(Lion Grand Poohbah)
07/14/09 11:27 AM

Quote:

2005?

Pfft...back in my day, we used to tailgate uphill in the snow - barefoot.

I remember the days when your beer would freeze in the can and you'd need to get your toes amputated after standing in the snow.

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
07/14/09 12:25 PM

Ah, for the warmth of the ND game in 1989, how sweet it was(and pretty darn cold too).

Carl Spackler
(Flanker)
07/14/09 04:10 PM

You will have to give OL some latitude here. She lives way out west in "to be used for the prevention of disease" land and didn't have the access to PSU that most of us had. She is making up for it in grand style since 2005 and we all know what has happened since 2005!

tidoublemy
(Outside Linebacker)
07/15/09 11:02 PM

Pass a little Kool-Aid this way too! I've got to start early, because between the end of hockey season and the beginning of football season, sports in this town are kind of depressing.

OL, Mrs. Ti and I and our new little Ti-ette (just doesn't have the same ring as Roar's kids' monikers) will try to swing by one of your early-season Fiestas! She seemed to love the Blue/White game!

RoarLions
(Hall of Famer)
07/17/09 08:49 AM

Happy Birthday Carl!

NittanyFootball.com Home