PSU Florida
(Athletic Director)
12/11/09 11:42 PM
Alabama Game Sep 11 2010

In case anyone hasn't checked out hotel availability yet, pretty much forget it for anything within 30 miles of Tuscaloosa. Eveything's booked (except fleabags and the $1K/night joints). The tour/travel agencies (who have a lot of rooms blocked out) won't be turning any back into the pool until late August/early September. If you haven't gotten a room yet, I'd wait til them to start trying....and then hit the usual sites several times daily. Unlike State College, there are quite a few places that don't require a minimum two nights......if they had any vacancies at all, of course. Rooms still available around Bessemer (@ 35 miles) and Birmingham (40+).

My Bama buddies are already really looking forward to the game - not so much because they think they'll win (they do, of course), but because they love Joe too.....and PSU. I'm looking forward to the trip too. Always have had a great time in Tuscaloosa, win or lose.

Blue&White
(Hall of Famer)
12/16/09 08:01 AM
Re: Alabama Game Sep 11 2010

You live in driving distance of Tuscaloosa, right? Why can't we all stay at your place?

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
12/22/09 07:47 AM

The tour group I am using is staying in Birmingham, supposedly at a pretty nice place. I am looking forward to this game and trip.

psuro
(Hall of Famer)
01/03/10 03:19 PM

I plan on bunking at PSUFlorida's place. I am going to have some free beer too.

PSU Florida
(Athletic Director)
01/04/10 01:38 PM

LOL! It's a lot longer drive to Tuscaloosa than you & beedub think, around 4.5 hours. I don't plan on doing that after a day of debauchery, so you guys are gonna have to find another crashpad somewhere.

Nittanyfla, the Birmingham area has loads of decent places, and many with rooms still available. Depending on location, it's between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours to Tuscaloosa normally, with about half the trip on limited-access highway. I have no idea what it's like on a gameday tho, but if you're on a tour, that's the bus driver's problem.

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
01/06/10 02:06 PM

Thanks and I am told that our tour operator is staying at a nice place in Birmingham. Plan to arrive sometime Thursday and might be using free miles to travel. I do want to get up to campus Thursday and friday, to enjoy the ambience. Wife not making this trip, I do have an extra deposit on hold, do not know if my son will grab the spot. If not, there's one out there for someone.
Am looking forward to this one, even though we will be decided underdogs.

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
03/04/10 10:41 AM

So, who is planning to head south for this game?

PSU Florida
(Athletic Director)
03/04/10 05:00 PM

Mrs PSUF and I will be heading 'nawth' to the game, with daughter Miss Nittany and SIL in tow.

Nittany Flier
(Head Coach)
03/04/10 07:37 PM

I am giving serious consideration to going. Mrs. Flier may have other ideas since we are taking 2 children plus spouses and 2 grandchildren to Disney for a week in September.

PNNST8
(Left Tackle)
03/10/10 09:55 AM

Heading down for this one. Dont' want to miss an opportunity to visit an SEC school when PSU is in town.

Got a group of 4-5 going. We were planning to rent a house/condo in Tuscaloosa for the weekend. Naturally we waited too long and there are few places within walking distance. However, I have one on hold. But for the cost - $1600 (for 3 nights) we're now thinking Birmingham makes more sense. We'll play golf in the area Friday and Sunday.

To make the trip to Tuscaloosa more fun and the trip back safer - we're thinking about getting a limo to and from. But we'll need it for the whole day and probably looking at $1000.

Anyone staying in Birmingham that would be interested in going in on a limo ride to defray some of the cost???

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
03/10/10 05:37 PM

I am with the Centre For Travel group, who will ferry us up from Birmingham both Friday and game day

PSU Florida
(Athletic Director)
07/03/10 11:20 AM

How's this for the 'strange and pure BS' category?

My family/friends all made reservations at a place IN Tuscaloosa back in December 2009. 6 rooms total. Confirmation numbers, all the usual stuff. Two weeks ago I get a phone call followed by email from this 'new general manager' that due to unforeseen circumstances (a fire, and some trial that is projected to last well into the football season) that they can no longer honor our reservations (all of us). However, what was more weird was I was the ONLY one who got any sort of formal contact (or a cancellation number via email, which was a different format from the one you'd get if you cancel online.) I was on a cruise at the time and couldn't call them; daughter #1 did tho and initially talked to corporate who said the name of the general manager at the Tuscaloosa facility wasn't who had sent me the email/left voicemail, some other person was. Corporate also knew nothing about it. So she called the hotel direct and spoke to the person corporate said was the manager, who informed dau#1 that she wasn't the manager, this new guy was. R U starting to smell it? Anyway, this chick gave the same/similar song & dance that I got in the voicemail/email.

Bottom line, after several more calls and 'discussions' dau#1 was told too bad, so sad, but they could do whatever they wanted and we had no rooms for the Bama weekend. Nice to find that out 3 months before the game. B*stards! BTW, I did find out they had no fire. Couldn't verify/refute this trial claim tho.....

We did end up with some rooms, but closest we could get was in Bessemer (@ 35 miles out). I'll NEVER patronize Home-Towne Suites or any of their affiliates again!

Nittanyfla
(Hero)
07/03/10 12:45 PM

Sounds like a good case to share with the Better Business Bureau of Tuscaloosa(sp.) and Alabama.

NittanyFootball.com Home