College Sports Scandals

Blue&White

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:26 am

So someone should explain how they arrived at decision over months of review only to deem it completely wrong 24 hours later.

Agreed. There should absolutely still be a very transparent investigation into this whole thing. All of it. Not just the death of the player but the process that lead to the decision. The whole thing reaks of money/politics to me.
Is it baseball season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:44 am

Loh (the president) wanted to move on from Durkin but many members of the Board of Regents wanted him to stay. So there was internal disagreement from the start. You should see and hear what many Maryland fans say. They now HATE Heather Dinnich for starting the whole "toxic culture" in the first place and blame all their problems on her. They defend a lot of the practices identified as being "the norm in football". I don't believe that. Yes there's certainly a line where you challenge a guy's drive and determination but clearly a differentiation between tough love and outright abuse. They say it goes on everywhere. Of course in any message board conversation the topic of PSU comes up and how they "don't want to be like PSU" whatever the hell that means. I'm just like, "welcome to the world of having a few facts and rumors come out and the media and the internet mob turns on you in a New York minute".

I bet Kirk Ferentz is so happy that when his program put several of his players in the hospital for some ridiculous off-season workout regimen it was several years ago. There is no way he would survive that now.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Having looked a little deeper, I see where you guys are coming from. I was not aware of the support the odd decision to keep Durbin had. That makes no sense to me as I thought he should have been fired when this story broke.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:13 am

Joe was fired 7 years ago today. I just can't believe it's been that long ago already. Still so much most of us really don't know and I seriously doubt we ever will.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:43 am

I'm curious as to what you think we all don't know at this point. Maybe it's me, but I feel like the facts of what happened have been pretty well established.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 am

I'm curious as to what you think we all don't know at this point.

We still don't know why the people who were in a position to nip this in the bud more didn't do more. The belief of those who aren't fans of the program is that it was an intentional cover-up. A more charitable explanation is that severity of the problem was badly under-estimated by those in a position to do something. But I'm not sure we really know.
Klaatu barada nikto

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 am

This is one case where the conspiracy theories may be possible. If you haven’t, read Pendergast’s book, “The Most Hated Man in America” on JS. It’s a dry read, much like a research paper, but there are a lot of situations in regards to the young men who received payouts from PSU that seem to conflict with each other. I am not saying he was innocent or guilty, but there are plenty of things that don’t add up enough to make me think that we don’t have all of the facts.

But, I agree, it is hard to believe it was seven years ago. It seems like yesterday and so long ago at the same time.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 pm

We still don't know why the people who were in a position to nip this in the bud more didn't do more. The belief of those who aren't fans of the program is that it was an intentional cover-up. A more charitable explanation is that severity of the problem was badly under-estimated by those in a position to do something. But I'm not sure we really know.

Ok.

Well, the simplist explanation is usually the right one. And, it makes far more sense that they underestimated this vs. they conspired to protect a former employee who was accused of raping children. As for the "why" didnt' they do more, I doubt they can even asnwer that question themselves. You make decisions in a moment and when you make them they seem reasonble. And then later, when it turns our you didn't have all the facts or you weren't seeing the whole picture, it becomes very hard to explain and/or defend. I'm not making an excuse for them, but I can get how this happened, sort of.

These are not evil people. They are professional men with families. The idea that they all made a conscious decision - all of them - to ignore a child molestor because they thought it was good for the football team just doesn't make any sense to me. Of course that could have happened but, given Sandusky was not even part of the staff at that point, it just doesn't make any sense.

But, getting back to the original point, I do think we have all the facts. What we don't have is satisfactory answers as to why people acted as they did. And, I don't think we are going to ever get that.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Well, the simplist explanation is usually the right one.

Yes. And on my home planet, that's the explanation we generally accept and the one I'm willing to accept here. But unfortunately, on this planet, people will generally lean towards believing the explanation that provides them the most satisfaction.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:03 pm

We tend to focus on PSU aspect but I believe knowledge or at minimum a strong suspicion of JS's activity was present for multiple entities including Second Mile, local schools where JS pulled victims from classes, the janitorial staff, his wife and there were rumors he was taking his victims to local hotels in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. He certainly should have been on the cop's radar after 98.

Very simply there was a big pile of shit in the middle of the room and nobody wanted to clean it up. At most they took half measures or wagged their finger at JS and told him not to shit in the middle of the room anymore or they told him to stay out of the room, Nobody definitively owned up and said "I know he's shitting in the middle of the room and I going to be the one to take on the very nasty job of cleaning this up and making sure it never happens again - even though I know there will be hell to pay when it becomes public I'm doing this and I will likely suffer some blow back". And don't think JS didn't take notice. I've said this before - he got caught, got lectured and then nothing happened and when he resumed his activities right in front of the people who lectured him I'm sure he simply thought "oh they are just saying this is a problem for appearances but really nobody thinks it's a problem". I've said it countless times on this board - if there are no consequences for undesirable behavior don't expect a change in the behavior - hell especially from a sociopathic pedophile.

Everyone knew everyone else knew and everyone hoped someone else would do something. Unfortunately it took a long time until someone did.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall