Pitt pre-game thread

Blue&White

Pitt pre-game thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:37 pm

In honor of the our former poster, the late Chas:

Coach Franklin sits down with some tuna on rye, a sparkling water, some pepto bismol and watches the Appalachian State game film. "Man, that was a close one. We were very lucky to escape with a win. We have some serious gaps on defense. I'm going to need some of the young kids to step it up earlier than expected. Parsons is still young but he shows he has some good instincts. We're going to need him to shut down some of the running lanes and help get some pressure on the QB. On offense, our line didn't hold up as well as I had hoped. We're going to have to pick a starting running back and stick with him. Sanders really is the guy, and I think Slade is the best back up we have. Mark Allen isn't going to like that but I have to do what is best for the team. The receivers looked a little rusty but hopefully that gets better. What concerned me most was how the line wore down as the game progressed.

"We're going to have to step it up against Pitt. A night game on the road is always a challenge and those fans will be fired up. Hopefully our fans travel some and cancel out some of the noise for us. Need to start game planning and focusing on the future games, not the past".

------
I meant to do this last week but was away on vacation with the family and didn't have the chance. And, I know I didn't do that justice but I wanted to try it once. Chas was on these forums for a lot of years and he was very often an obnoxious pain in the rump. But, he knew his stuff and he brought a lot of entertainment. I looked forward every season to his first person narratives as to what the coach may be thinking - first with Joe, then with BOB and finally with Franklin. He brought a different perspective to this forum and I really do miss it. He posted less and less frequently over time, and I suspect that had to do with his illness. I don't think any of us knew he was ill until his son came here a few months ago to let us know he succumbed to cancer. I think he has a few years on me, but I did not have the impression he was even 60, or if he was he was early 60s. That was my guess, at least. Whatever his age, it was too soon to go I'm sure. Anyway, this was the best tribute I could come up with, and I invite others to try the 1st person bit for each game. This will be my only attempt (as I clearly have no talent for it).

As for the game, I don't know so won't guess. We all know the quote about the biggest improvements being between games 1 and 2. I saw a lot of positives and a lot of negatives. But, I also thought Appalachian State was basically a joke of a team. They may still be one, tough to say. I'll know more about their team, and ours, in 5 or 6 weeks I guess.

Right now, I'm picking a win over Pitt but I think it's a close one. On the road, at night - could be a tough one.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Shore Lion

Re: Pitt pre-game thread

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:14 pm

Nice tribute to Chas. I miss those posts too.

If you thought App State was a joke you haven't been paying attention for the last many years. They are a very solid team with good coaching. Lack of depth hurts them more than anything.

I was totally bitching about the offensive line during the in-game thread but your comment about them wearing down is wrong. In the second half they allowed no sacks and averaged more yards per rush than in the first half. Deciding on a right tackle probably helped with that a bit. The offense was fine and should get better as the wideouts block better and Sanders gets a steady diet of the ball. They scored 38 in regulation. That really should be enough. The entire defense is what worries me. Hopefully Givens will be back. That should help some. There are a lot of young guys in there and I really worry about how they'll handle a true running QB. PSU has got to be able to bring some fairly consistent pressure without a blitz or it could be a long day.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 am

If you thought App State was a joke you haven't been paying attention for the last many years. They are a very solid team with good coaching. Lack of depth hurts them more than anything.

This is undoubtedly true. I have not paid much attention and thought of them as the equivalent of a Coastal Carolina. I was clearly wrong. Or, we are not nearly as good as I'd like to believe. I guess the next 11 weeks will tell the tale.

I was totally bitching about the offensive line during the in-game thread but your comment about them wearing down is wrong.

Could be. My impression when watching live was that they were getting into the backfield and putting a lot of pressure on Trace. But, tough to argue with 38 points in regular time.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:35 am

App State is playing with the same number of scholarship players as Penn State and they didn't suffer through sanctions while we are still out of balance in some areas and very young. I don't know why the networks don't want to let the nation know App State joined Div. 1 several years ago and is even more competitive now than when they whipped UM back in 2007. So all the underdog fans who were rooting for a lower division team to upset a higher division team, you got the wrong game folks.

It was obvious the networks were focusing on the upset hopes with App State. I can understand that angle but not the big time underdog status with all the losses we had from last year and medical losses in the past six months. While the casual fan would not know this the highly paid announcers certainly should have yet it did not fit their predetermined narrative for the game. Reminds me of the ND game where they preplanned to focus on Jimmy Claussen a few years ago. There were still showing Jimmy's girlfriend and his mother in the 3rd quarter as they grimaced during his brutal pounding and sacks with the regularity of a mistaken triple X-lax dose.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:20 am

8:00PM start time - should be a wound up atmosphere - and based on last week guess I'd better have the uber app handy and psuro will have to consider upping his scotch budget.

Narduzzi hates CJF and PSU and takes digs every chance he gets so you know he wants this bad - CJF doesn't publicly express this as a rivalry but I think he's doesn't appreciate this mosquito constantly buzzing around his dome and would love to swat it.

Unfortunately I think we are going to get taken down to the wire again this week as the D still has to find it's footing but the foot of Jake Pinegar makes it PSU 38 - Pitt 35
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:43 am

Sure Pitt will be up for the game. Hard to know much about them though after their epic victory over Albany.

Penn State 30, Pitt 20, just because.
41-33.

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:20 pm

48-14

psuro

Postby psuro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:19 pm

PSU 35
Pitt 10

I think PSU gets up early, gets their four or five fans out of it, and cruises to the victory.

In a show of sportsmanship, PSU fans offer the three remaining Pitt fans at the end of the game a sip of beverage - for staying the whole game.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:06 pm

One of my best friends is heading up from State College to spend this with his brother, a Pitt alum. Apparently the whole gameday experience is a big annoying clusterf*** because there is a Pirates game the same day, AND it makes use of the same parking lot. So, no early tailgating despite the 8PM gametime.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 pm

I have been reading comparisons between Saturday's game and the 2016 game. Maybe there is an element of truth there. One big difference though is the 2016 game was Trace's second career start. Obviously he has come a long way since then.
41-33.