Kent State Pregame

Underlion

Re: Kent State Pregame

Postby Underlion » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:40 am

Blue&White wrote:So, pretty much what I expected. 3 - 0.

Still not convinced our D is ready for the big boys.

Haven't really seen a good balanced offense yet.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:07 pm

I suspect we will see a highly motivated team come late Sept. KSU is not a motivating team, it's a check mark on the schedule.

I'd like to read the comments prior to the OSU game in 2016, probably far worse than these.

OSU is filled with the best talent in the Big 10 overall. The team will be ready for them. The pitfalls are the week after or another week between more talented teams when the team that appears lesser jumps up to bite you in the @$$ and destroys your season. The concentration, good fortune and maturity to complete a championship season is remarkable.

We need to get past Illi. first, then on to OSU.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 am

I hardly ever get confident before playing any team but I just can't see Illinois putting up much of a fight after the first quarter. The only intangible is the stupid Friday 9pm start. I'm already getting nervous thinking about OSU. That has the potential to be a track meet of a game.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:04 pm

I know it was 6 years ago and I know it was a different coaching regime, but I still hold a grudge against Illinois for setting up camp in our parking lot trying to take all our players after the NCAA hit us with the sanctions. Say what you want about Urban Meyer but his decision not to recruit our guys is something I always remember.
Is it baseball season yet?

psuro

Postby psuro » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Blue&White wrote:I know it was 6 years ago and I know it was a different coaching regime, but I still hold a grudge against Illinois for setting up camp in our parking lot trying to take all our players after the NCAA hit us with the sanctions. Say what you want about Urban Meyer but his decision not to recruit our guys is something I always remember.

And look at how the two programs have gone in different directions since then.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Overall I couldn't be much happier coming out of the OOC schedule - yeah I'd like to see them clean up some of the penalties from the Kent State game but they happen. But through 3 games (and yes I know the competition will get a lot tougher)

Offense
Given he lost 3 NFL caliber skill guys McS has done quite well and I think the coaches are showing strategic discretion with him for called runs and McS shows good decision making when scrambling of when to use his legs for positive yards and when to use them to extend play. Shows really good ability to attack LOS and then heave a ball 40 yards when it looks like he is going to run.
The offensive line looks improved and we seem to be getting more yardage between the tackles and making the short first downs. I don't know how good a FG Jake Pinegar is - mainly because the offense has been scoring TDs and not settling for FGs.
Sanders has looked solid, Allen is the hardest working guy out there - we are not getting the flash plays but not taking negative plays. Hamler looks like dynamite with a burning fuse - here is your splash play guy for the next 3 years - think how big his KO returns were against App State at end of game and KSU at end of half - both returns put PSU in position to score with minimal time left. After a slow start Thompkins tallied a ST TD against Pitt and had a nice game against KSU. Polk has a couple TDs and made a critical first down catch on the game tying drive against App State. About the only disappointment has been Johnson who just hasn't been a factor.

Defense
The positive I see here is mindset - the last coupled years the team struggled making adjustments and reacting to negative swings in the game. Against App State they blew a 4th QT lead but came up with game ending TO in OT. Against Pitt they got run over 1st QT and pitched shutout rest of game and really owned the field position battle second half (and shut down run). Against KSU they forced punt after the onsides kick and forced FG try after TO (and ST teams and O followed that with TD) - son instead of 21-14 half ended 28-10.
Only carp with the D I would like to see more TOs - I think we will need some TOs in B1? games especially against the upper level teams.

ST
Blake Gilliken - awesome - he killed Pitt.
Jake Pinegar - perfect on XP, FGs still to see,
KOs (Cheka?) - lots of touch backs - the App State thing was an ouch but overall been good
Returns - Thomkins two TDs couple other nice returns, Hamler dynamite on KOs
Obviously got to fix that onside kick thing

Overall for a young team I like the hustle and so far the reaction when things are going wrong. Like the direction team and program seem to be going.
And they emptied Pitt's stadium even quicker than normal.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Overall for a young team I like the hustle and so far the reaction when things are going wrong. Like the direction team and program seem to be going.

I completely agree with this. I think we will have some growing pains this year due to inexperience, but given the talent we lost that is really to be expected. But, I think the team and the program is heading the right way. This should be a good season. Next year could be a great season.
Is it baseball season yet?