2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 pm

We lost the baseball thread. I have no idea how that happened. We've been getting spammed like crazy lately, and it's starting to show up in the threads so I must have screwed up in deleting one and took out the thread. I hate these damn spammers. :evil:

Anyway, thought we could finish up the WS discussion here.

So, I was at an event in NYC last night. I got tired and it's a long trip home so I balied just around 9 PM. The guys I was with ducked into a bar next door a little while after I left and they ran into dad's all time favorite manager Bobby Valentine. I just got an email from one of them to rub it in that I left.

He said they asked Valentine who he was rooting for and he said the Dodgers because "Lasorda is his godfather". Probably doesn't hurt that the Dodgers never fired him.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:58 am

Well, the NY press is reporting that Melvin is out as a choice for Mets GM. It seems it's down to someone I never heard of and Jacob deGrom's agent.

That's not a joke on deGrom's agent, btw. The union is already calling "foul" on that possibility as he's privy to inside discussions with the MLBPA and other agents are saying it would be hard(er) to deal with and trust the Mets. I figure that guy is about a lock to get the job.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:15 pm

What did you all do after watching game 2 of the Wrold Series?

In the scheme of things, providing one meal to the homeless is meaningless. But, you have to respect a guy who takes the time to make even a small gesture when he doesn't have to. And, from what I read elsewhere, it wasn't Betts who highlighted that he did this. I have the impression he tried to do this without bringing attention to himself and someone else just went with the story. You have to respect a guy who just does things to try to be helpful. Without fanfare. Without press. Those are the guys you want to represent your community.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Looks like sports agent Brodie Van Wagenen is the Mets new GM. What a weird choice. I guess we will find out if it's a good choice or not.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am

Ok, I just identified something for my holiday reading list. I've read things before human traffkicking allegations against MLB.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm no MLB apologist, but I have a little problem with using the term "human trafficking" here. These aren't sex slaves being kidnapped against their will. Perhaps improper/illegal immigration would be a better term. Of course, it's not as dramatic.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Dave Roberts. Does he stay or is he shown the door? Obviously his teams have been successful. But he has made some rather significant managerial blunders too.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:33 pm

psu_dad wrote:I'm no MLB apologist, but I have a little problem with using the term "human trafficking" here. These aren't sex slaves being kidnapped against their will. Perhaps improper/illegal immigration would be a better term. Of course, it's not as dramatic.

I think it's technically human trafficking but, yeah, it isn't quite what I think of when that term comes to mind.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:45 pm

Dave Roberts. Does he stay or is he shown the door?

He's taking a little too much grief for last night. If the Dodgers bullpen had maybe just allowed a couple of runs and the Dodgers had won, this would be much less controversial. But the bullpen totally pooped its pants, so Roberts is an idiot.

On the other hand, Alex Cora leaving Rodriguez in to pitch to Puig in the 6th was a serious mistake. He had obviously run out of gas. But the Red Sox won, so no one here is calling for Cora's head on a platter. To his credit, Cora didn't give some BS reason for keeping Rodriguez in. He basically admitted he messed up. But that's easier to do when you win.
Klaatu barada nikto