2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:58 am

My argument at the time was that if he was a free agent that, given his injury history and the number of games he missed, there was no way anyone would sign him to the dollars and years he was owed by the Rockies and, therefore, it was a bad decision to trade good prospects to gete him. It would be one thing if he had been healthy up to that point and then fall apart post trade. That happens and what can you do? But, he already had a degenerative hip issue that you knew was going to get worse every day he played and you knew that it was unlikely to get your monies worth.

For the Blue Jays, the deal wasn't such a bad decision. They traded away an awful Jose Reyes contract (and an awful Jose Reyes) and got Tulo in return. In the long run they were probably worse off given the years left on that contract, but when you factor it all together, I'm not sure sure they got the short end of that stick. Tulo had some production in Toronto where as Reyes was really done when he got to the Rockies. So, you look back at that trade and you think "ok I get why they did that". But, for a team, any team, to trade ranked prospects to get Tulo would have been insanity.

I'm really shocked the Mets didn't do it given some of the insanity that comes out of that ownership. Either the medicals really scared off the Mets or they didn't put enough on the table (prospects or push back on how much cash they would aborb) to satisfy the Rockies. Either way ... phew!
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:10 am

Tulo had some production in Toronto

That was kinda/sorta my recollection, also ... but it was wrong. He had one so-so year in Toronto and two other years in which he played less than 100 games (combined). That's it.

You're right about Reyes' contract. The Rockies ended up eating about 70M of that disaster and got virtually no value in return. So I suppose you can deduct that from the 120M the Blue Jays pissed away on Tulo.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 am

I guess my point is that trading Reyes for Tulo was a risk worth taking. Sure, it cost them more money in the long run. And, they didn't get the player they hoped to get. But, they traded one really shitty contract for another shitty contract and got a potentially better player. They took a chance. It didn't pan out, but I can see the logic of it. I don't look back at the deal and think "what they heck were they thinking?!". It was not a bad decision, with both foresight and hindsight.

Trading prospects for Tulo would have been collasally stupid, though.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 am

Deep in Winter, Let’s Discuss the Stifling of Starting Pitchers

This is a pretty good article on how pitch counts are overwhelming sense and experience. And, some of the pitchers they talk about here - Maddux and Mussina for example - pitched during the peak of the steroid era. It's one thing to dismiss Tom Seaver as irrelevant to today's game because he pitched in an era when there were 2, maybe 3, guys in a lineup who were a real threat to take you deep. But, Greg Maddux and Mike Mussina pitched in an era when Roger Marris' single season home-run record was broken twice in a single season. So, there is probably something to this idea that managers are over analyzing pitch counts.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 am

So, the Mets have settled on David Wright's contract and he is no longer on the 40 man roster. He has taken a front office job. He's now the Assitant to the Traveling Secretary. His duties will include determining the proper length for the doors on the bathroom stalls, the proper way to eat a chocolate bar (hands vs. fork & knife), and ensuring the team doesn't get booked into that Ramada Inn in Milwaukee. And, don't try to insult him because he has a comeback that will smoke you! ("The Jerk Store called, and they're all out of you!")

In all seriousness, he's now "Special Assitant to the General Manager" which, really, sounds very similar to the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary. And, I suspect his duties are not vastly different than those I described above. And, the Jerk Store line will still smoke you, so don't mess with him.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 am

The Mets are totally going to open the season wearing cotton uniforms.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Drat. I knew I forgot one: he's in charge of fabric selection for the 2019 uniforms.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 pm

If Wright wants to build a small bed under his desk for napping, tell him I know a good carpenter.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:03 am

I meant to post this last week but didn't get a chance.

Anyway, after the Mets signed Wilson Ramos, there was a report that they offered former Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal a 4 year, $60M contract and he turned them down. The general thinking was that Grandal thought he could do better. Then, last Wednesday, the Brewers announced they signed him to a 1 year deal for $18.25. And, he signed that contract after turning down the Dodgers Qualifying Offer of $17.9M.

What am I missing here? He turns down a lock of 4 years and $60M to take $350,000 over the QO? That makes no sense. And, by all accounts, his agent told him to take the Mets offer and he ignored him (who knows what is exactly true, though).

So, either:
1. he really screwed up and misread the market; or
2. he thinks he can do better than what the Mets offered when he's a year older and was willing to just sign that 1 year deal; or
3. he's just clinically insane or doesn't understand what numbes mean

I get that somtimes a player doesn't want to play in a specific city or maybe for a specific team for whatevere reason. But, those types of preferences are usually overcome by money. There were reports a few weeks ago that both Machado and Harper epxressed to people they preferred not to play in Philly. But, they both met with the Phillies and they will both consider offers. And, I feel pretty confident that if Philly makes the best offer they will be suiting up in Phillies uniforms next year. Pro atheletes tend to put dollars above most everything else. There are some limited exceptions to that, but those are rare.

Anyway, seems to me that Grandal really screwed up.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am

I think the answer is 1. He probably thought a catcher of his stature could get more than 60M, And he was wrong.

A few years ago, the Blue Jays signed the catcher the Dodgers had before Grandal (Russell Martin) to something like 5yrs/80M. Martin wasn't Johnny Bench, but he was a very good catcher, comparable to Grandal. Problem is, after a couple of pretty good seasons, he fell off a cliff. The Blue Jays recently unloaded him back to the Dodgers for a couple of nobody prospects. And they had to eat part of the 20M he's still owed.

So if Grandal thought that Martin had set the "market price", he was wrong.
Klaatu barada nikto