2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am

That is a serious, serious mid-read of the market. He went from 4 years, $60M to 1 year, $18.25M? There have been several teams linked to the Marlins about trading for Realmuto. None of the teams rumored to be interested in in trading for Realmuto were interested in giving Grandal more than 1 year? It certainly seems that was the case but it really doesn't make sense.

The Dodgers still need a catcher. I'm not sure what they have in the farm system, but they weren't willing to offer at least 2 years? I can't believe he couldn't get more than 1 year from the Brewers.

He should fire his agent. Even if his agent tried to talk him into taking the Mets offer, he should fire his agent for not being convincing enough.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 am

That is a serious, serious mid-read of the market. He went from 4 years, $60M to 1 year, $18.25M?

I don't know the inner details, but I'd guess he went from 4yrs/60M ... to perhaps a lesser multi-year offer or two ... then said "uh-oh" ... and finally decided to grab great money (18M) for one year and try again next year. If (hypothetically) he signs for 3yrs/42M next year, that's 60M over 4 years and he breaks even.

But yes, it was a bad mis-read, perhaps adversely influenced by Martin's 80M contract. Who knows.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 am

Maybe. But, a lot of things have changed since that Martin contract. Values have come down considerably for a lot of players. Maybe they thought cathcers were differnt. Or, maybe they thought the crazy return the Marlins wanted for Realmuto had inflated the potential for a solid catcher like Grandal.

Whatever the reason, he likely left a lot of money on the table. Maybe it works out and he has a great year and gets a bigger contract next year. But, cathcers generally don't age well.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 am

Mel Stottlemyre died after a long battle with cancer. He was 77. RIP Mel. And, cancer sucks.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:03 am

I remember him as a kid. Pretty good pitcher, but he spent most of his career in that period from the mid-60s to the mid-70s when the Yankees sucked. I vaguely remember him in the WS as a young pitcher ... perhaps his rookie season? (63? 64?) ... and I don't believe he ever got near a WS again.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:57 am

I just looked it up. He came up in 64 and retired in 74. So, you're right about his World Series apprearances. He saw the Yankees lose to the Cardinals in 7 in 64 and never got a sniff of October again. He was pretty much the staff ace of a crappy team. The Archie Manning of baseball.

I remember him most as the pitching coach of the Mets when the won the World Series. The pitchers from those teams all credit Stottlemyre with their success. I think it's tough to say how much impact a coach has but there does seem to be some common themes around people who are regarded as being good at that job.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:59 am

From 1965-1975 the Yankees were mired in mediocrity. They averaged about 80 wins a year and made no post-season appearances. Glorious times. The Golden Era of baseball.

< getting a little verklempt >
Fire Alex Cora

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Why does baseball have arbitration for increasing salaries? No other sport has it

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:12 pm

That was negotiated between MLB and the Player's Association. Each sport is different because each sport has it's own Player's Association and its own negotiated agreement with the owners of their league.

Basically, a MLB team controls their young players for 6 full major league seasons before they can go to free agency. For the first 3 years, the team can pay the player the MLB minimum if they want. The player has no control, other than to quit. For the next 3 years, the player is able to earn a better salary through arbitration.

When the FA rules were first adopted, the Player's Association didn't want their players to have to play for "peanuts" for all 6 years prior to free agency and that's the compromise they came up with.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm

That's because no other sport has a requirement that binds the player to the team for a fixed number of years. Baseball is unique in their ability to control players for extended periods of time. No other sport has a system where you can draft or sign a kid at age 16, or 18, or 22, and control that player for years. You are locked in to the team that grabs you via the MLB draft or the international draft. There is a 3rd way to get on a team - you can sign a free agent contract, but that is limited to people who are basicaly off the scarp heap. And, even then, it depends on how you are signed. With a minor league contract, you are still controlled. With a MLB contract, you can walk away once the contract is over.

Arbitration is not a benefit for the players. It is a protection for the owners. It is a concession that was won in negotations and only after Curt Flood lost his challenge to the MLB Reserve Clause (which bound a player to a team for life or until they were done with the player) in federal court. After Flood lost that case back in the early 70s, baseball players threatened serious labore strife/strike if the owners didn't do something. So, they came up with a system that ultimately gave the players the right to go to free agency. It has evolved over time, but player salary arbitartion is a legacy of that initial deal back in, I think, 1973. But, basically, the deal here is the owners get to hold on to players for their first 6 years of major league service, they get to keep them in the minors into a season to preserve time of service into what is really a 7th year (which is why big time prospects who are ready to play with the big club are often held down in the minors in the beginning of the season), and they are not required to pay them anything close to what they would get as free agents. The union won arbitration as a push back against that system, but they would be much happier to scrap that system and let the players be free agents sooner.

Anyway - that's why.
Baseball season!!!!