Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Shane

Re: Epilogue to the 2018 Penn State Season

Postby Shane » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Final rankings came out and PSU finished in the top 25 for the third straight year. This is the first time it's happened since a 7 year stretch from 93-99. I know the season didn't play out as we had hoped, but I still believe we are in a good spot.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 am

Shane, I'm in agreement with your thoughts. 2018 was potentially a transitional year but W-L column began a bit better than expected so hopes were buoyed only to diminish later in the season. Next year we only have to replace our 3 yr. starting QB and a few other departing starters! ? ! ;)

The talent stockpile is seemingly growing each season. If potential meets productivity on the field our future is bright. I'm optimistic about the near future of the team and excited for the 2019 season to begin. But winter is here and the late signing season is a few weeks away. Can we pull in some more talent? Do the big stars of the next recruiting season fall into the PSU camp? What will our offense look like this fall? Lot's of speculation yet to come.

Happy New Year to everyone.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 am

Based on what I am seeing of players leaving early only Sanders is projecting in top 3 rounds - that's why I was puzzled why all these guys were jumping. I'm certainly all for these guys doing what is best for them and their families - everyone else in the college football machine (coaches, Universities, conferences, networks) all act in their best financial interests. These guys own the greatest risk by remaining amateur and all the other entities reap all the rewards.

I'd like to actually see them have greater freedom and ability to make the best decision. I think we would all believe - barring injury - that all these guys could up their stock and move up in the draft with another year. If Miller and Givens returned the DL would be among best in nation. If Bates and McG return the OL should be awesome and Sanders should be the chief beneficiary.

I know there is an NFL advisory board that players can get a draft grade. Why not let them hold a pro day and get feedback from actual NFL teams? Move back the late signing day and let them go to combine and let them see how they measure against their peers. Let the schools take out an insurance policy for them in event they get injured. Let them sign with an agent and take an advance from the agency that may help remediate immediate family economic issues while they stay in school and then pay agency out of their contract when they turn pro next year. Let them do these things without forgoing their final year if they, with that information, feel coming back is the right decision.

Everyone of us could go seek a better employment situation without having to give up our current job. Any student on an academic scholarship could test the job market without having to renounce their schollie. Let the players do all they can to ensure the are really making the best decision for themselves and their families.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Everyone of us could go seek a better employment situation without having to give up our current job. Any student on an academic scholarship could test the job market without having to renounce their schollie. Let the players do all they can to ensure the are really making the best decision for themselves and their families.

This system isn't about the betterment or protection of the players. It's about the enrichment of the schools, the networks, and the schmucks at the NCAA. They do everything they can to keep these kids in check. The idea that they are required to wait until the equivalent of their junior year before they can go pro is Exhibit 1 that this is all about the Benjamins - and not for the players. They are free, unpaid labor for an NFL minor league system.

Back when Maurice Clarett was suing for the right to play in the NFL without having to wait 2 more years I was 100% behind him. I remember a lot of people on this focum - back when it was more than just 10 or so of us, were not.
Baseball season!!!!

Shane

Postby Shane » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:37 pm

In fairly surprising news, Juwan Johnson is transferring. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Sanders was not going to improve his stock with another year of college. I think that's the right move. I'll be interested to see where the linemen get drafted.

As far as Johnson, I don't know. He disappeared in a lot of games. I remember the great catch he made this year against OSU but that's about it. There's a lot of talent at WR so hopefully the new coach can bring them along.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:31 pm

I question if Sanders is going to get drafted at all. I get leaving for the money, and he doesn't owe anyone at PSU anything at this point. If he can get paid, more power to him. I just can't believe he projects as a top 3 rounds pick. I would think he's a late round pick or post draft FA. He's a good running back, but he's not a great running back. Given the choice between him or, say, Tony Hunt, I'd take Hunt every time. And, that guy could barely crack an NFL roster.

Barkley was special and the Giants built their offense around him. But, running backs like Sanders in the modern NFL are really a dime and dozen. It's just no longer a high value position.
Baseball season!!!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 am

Shore Lion wrote:Sanders was not going to improve his stock with another year of college. I think that's the right move. I'll be interested to see where the linemen get drafted.

As far as Johnson, I don't know. He disappeared in a lot of games. I remember the great catch he made this year against OSU but that's about it. There's a lot of talent at WR so hopefully the new coach can bring them along.

We will agree to disagree on Sanders. He showed flashes at times but the hope is the offense will be a lot better next year. If Sanders is a true NFL player then he would crush people next year in college- See Saquon. PSU is slowly moving to the top of the food chain in college football so they will be losing guys here and there. I am surprised we are losing guys on the DL. I realize they had a good year but some of the dudes declaring for the NFL????From what I hear the DL pool is DEEP this year in the NFL draft.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:05 am

Shane wrote:In fairly surprising news, Juwan Johnson is transferring. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

I sure as hell didn't.

Regardless, best of luck to him.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

psuro

Postby psuro » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 am

I ran into one of JJs relatives in November and at that time, he was thinking that it was time to move on. He loves PSU and CJF, but he didn't think that he would be able to be the featured receiver he needed to be in order to get to the next level. Some of it was his injuries, but most of it was inside his head (the relative's words, not mine or JJs). Some of it was CJFs being enamored with younger recievers "just as he was enamored with Juwan when Juwan was a freshman".

So, not really surprised. At least to me. But, he is a good kid and nothing you can do but wish him well.