2019 Baseball Season

psu_dad

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm

"Baseball has done nothing, given no direction, for an alteration of the baseball." -- Rob Manfred

"It's a f---ing joke. Major League Baseball's turning this game into a joke. They own Rawlings, and you've got Manfred up here saying it might be the way they center the pill. They own the f---ing company. If any other $40 billion company bought out a $400 million company and the product changed dramatically, it's not a guess as to what happened. We all know what happened. Manfred the first time he came in, what'd he say? He said we want more offense. All of a sudden he comes in, the balls are juiced? It's not coincidence. We're not idiots." -- Justin Verlander

I'm going with Verlander's explanation.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 pm

I can't believe Manfred is even pretending they didn't mess with the ball. To me, the biggest tell is how the players react. I've never seen so many bad outfield reads in my life. I've never seen so many batters act like they hit a deep pop out and half trot up the line, expecting yo head to the dugout, only to see the ball land 10 feet behind the wall.

It's not just the pitchers saying this. The guys hitting and fielding are telling the same story. And, Manfred looks like an asshole.
Is it football season yet?

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Verlander needs to shut it and pitch better or drill the batters that hit a HR off of him :D

The Mets are literally in dumpster fire mode. Their minor league team started the dumpster fire during a fireworks session! The Mets are lucky that no one cares about baseball because their front office is a mess. Great pick on the GM!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 am

It's not just the pitchers saying this.

I was watching a game a couple of weeks ago where a pitcher threw a great pitch on a 1-2 count. A knee-high slider that was heading for the outside corner of the plate. The (left-handed) batter just "swatted" at it with a defensive swing. He was probably hoping to foul it off. The ball headed to the opposite field (left field) and kept carrying and carrying and carrying until it landed just over the fence. The left fielder had a hilarious WTF look on his face and I nearly soiled myself.

Verlander is right. It's a f---ing joke.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 am

I don't know what game that was but the exact same thing happened in the Mets-Cubs game I saw in Wrigley a few weeks ago. The Cubs batter, can't recall who, basically took a one-handed swing at a 2 strike pitch just to foul it off. It stayed fair end just landed over the fence. They showed the replay and I was like "you have to be f*cking kidding me". Even the batter had this "you have to be f*cking kidding me" look on his face.

Major league outfielders, generally, know where the ball is going off the bat. Yes, balls get misplayed and sometimes a guy runs in when he should run out. Or sometimes a guy doesn't take a good rout to the ball and it either drops in or the catch looks a lot more dramatic than it needs to be. It happens. But, it's not routine. Or, at least it wans't routine until this season. The first 2 months of the season in every single game you saw an outfielder get a bad read on how deep a ball was going or run to a spot only to have the ball sail over the outfielder's head. Plays like that used to make ESPN highlight reels because they were anomolies, but it was happening every single game. When the outfielders are having trouble juding where the ball is going, that's a pretty big "tell". When hitters act like they popped out and suddenly the ball is 10 rows back in center field, that's a tell, too. Something is different.

Btw, I think we discussed this previously, but this year MLB is using the same ball in AAA that is being used in the Majors. And, shockingly, they are seeing a homerun surge there, too. It's the ball. It is absolultey, unequivocally, the ball. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:29 am

Jim Bouton died. He was 80.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:39 pm

And speaking of not sleeping, you should enjoy this.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm

You know that's coming. There is no point in fighting about it, dreading it, etc. Btw, the one thing in that article that really surprised me is this line:

Sword said MLB hasn’t received much pushback from umpires.

I find that shocking. Either they are not getting pushback because the umpires in the Altanic league aren't unionized (and I doubt they are) and they aren't in any position to say anything about it, or they are unionized and their union is run by a bunch of idiots. I simply can't imagine the union that represents MLB umpires just saying "sure, go ahead" without either making a massive stink about it or first extracting some kind of concession that protects their people long term.

And, yes, I get that the stated plan is not to replace the umpires at all. But, that's today. Automation is inevitable and it's a matter of time before computers are able to handle boucned balls, check swings, if a runner is safe or out, etc. It is inevitable that a computer will be able to make almost every single call on a baseball field. I simply can't imagine the union is just going to shrug at the introduction of any part of their role being replaced or augmated by automation and let it happen without comment or some concession. I guess we'll find out, though, becasue this is coming.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Doc Gooden busted (again) for cocaine.

I feel bad for him. Addiction is a disease and no one wants to be an addict. What's interesting is a few months ago Darryl Strawberry made some public comments about Gooden's issues. Gooden flipped out and made public statements about how Strawberry was making stuff up, he wasn't using drugs, and he would never talk to Strawberry again. Turns out that Straw was right, though. Shame.