College Sports Scandals

Blue&White

Re: College Sports Scandals

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 pm

I've heard that about Maryland before. I wonder why. It's not like it's a big rivalry.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:50 pm

As a poster on another board said, it's nice Penn State is now back to being the poster child for good behavior in the Big Ten + whatever number of extra teams. ;)
41-33.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:40 am

Shore Lion wrote:Yeah. Durkin has been placed on leave now too. It's over for him properly. The tragedy is that a young man died. Maybe because proper procedures weren't followed. That will be determined. The other stuff i.e. toxic culture will have to get sorted out too. As you all know, MD fans HATE PSU, so a lot of their message boards are now full of people taking hardline approaches to everything before they "don't want to like PSU fans". Instead of you, finding out what is really true and then making decisions. Welcome to the club Terps.

And seriously, you won't find another fanbase that hates PSU like Maryland fans. It's not even close the vitriol you see and have seen for years on their message boards.

Shore, you are exposed to it more often and I don't doubt it's bad as we beaten them like a rented mule, beaten them by razor thin edges and won MNC's, beaten the best they had in decades and on and on, enough to make a fan bitter. Yet in upstate NY, Syracuse and environs, the hatred for PSU has boiled for a hundred years, still does even though we don't play them anymore and they were not competitive since the late 50's to early 60's, meaning 19, not 18. In Pittsburgh the Pitttttt devotee's, all of them, hate PSU with a passion that boils daily. Every time they have a sporting event at PItt ttt they sing their school song witch ends with PSU sucks or worse, every time.

WE ARE despised because we were competitive since the late 1940's generally, wildly competitive since the latter 1960's until the Dark Ages and the Sandusky Dark Ages II. But for all their hopes and dreams of our demise we got up off the mat, rose up and swung back with a vengeance, hitting knockout blows in Oct. 2016 in Beaver Stadium with a Marcus Allen blocked field goal and Grant Haley run back into Urbie's nightmares.

Our premature demise never developed and their meteoric ascension to college football elite never materialized as we continued to out recruit, coach and play their teams, coaches and schools. All these wanna bees one big chance to step on PSU was missed and missed so badly they still don't know what happened or how it happened. That'd be enough to make a preacher cuss. I can understand devotees of Rutgers, Maryland, Temple, PIttttttt, Syracuse and probably more I am not remembering right now would be jealous, envious, angry, grumpy, frustrated and outright cantankerous toward anyone wearing the colors or speaking glowingly of the NIttany Lions.

Hatred is a extreme emotion to harbor and I believe for many it is a step below that yet for a minority, yes, it is hatred toward PSU and its devotees. Any mention of our beloved institution in a favorable or even neutral manner incites wrath from their foul lips. More it alcohol is involved.

yes, Durkin needs to go. I think he did spend time with Urbie somewhere at some point but can't remember where or when right now. It's too late to look it up and the internet is closed for the night.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:14 am

Getting fired will be the least of Durkin's, the Strength coach and UM's medical staff's problems. Having a kid die due to lack of proper medical attention during a practice because you were trying to toughen him up will at minimum land you in civil court and quite possibly criminal court for negligence.

I suspect the UMd hate for PSU stems from the significant number of alum in the Maryland / DC area and since the western end of state borders PA in proximity to Central PA they probably get a bigger dose of PSU coverage than they care for - and we out recruit them in their own back yard.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 am

Getting fired will be the least of Durkin's, the Strength coach and UM's medical staff's problems. Having a kid die due to lack of proper medical attention during a practice because you were trying to toughen him up will at minimum land you in civil court and quite possibly criminal court for negligence.

I saw a similar story where it said it looks like they denied him medical attention and that resulted in his death. I would not be surprised if there were manslaughter charges filed.

How stupid can you be? Players dying from heat exhaustion is a real thing. Korey Stringer's death was not that long ago that people shouldn't remember it. How can a 1A team not be fully briefed on the dangers of practicing in the heat?

If the news reports that this was completely preventable are accurate, someone should be held criminally accountable for the events that lead to this kids death. You want every other coach at every level to take this seriously, then throw someone in jail for this and see how quickly behaviors change.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:13 am

I'm right in the thick of all this down here and there are two issues, albeit related. One obviously is the medical care that Jordan McNair did or did not receive and when. The other is the "toxic culture" within the program that included bullying and in some cases (allegedly) outright humiliation of players.

The vast majority are convinced that Heather Dinnich has a hard on for Maryland and that's why the article came out. They also say that because so many players and other coaches are defending Durkin that the charges are bogus. And the best yet, they keep talking about due process and letting the investigation play out so they can get the truth. But as I've said earlier, MD fans HATE PSU. It goes back to Penn State beating them for years and the feeling Joe ran up the score, was "holier than thou" etc. And of course with the scandal they view any PSU fan as a pedophile enabler. The hate is real and it's palpable.
So there's that bit of hypocrisy from their fanbase in that they took the initial narrative and have run with it for the last 6 years. A lot also claim that the kind of "tough love" that was going on with the strength and conditioning program happens at every school. I'm not so sure about that. Yes, there a matter of challenging a player's manhood and getting him to put out maximum effort but there are motivational tools to do that which don't involve humiliating players.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Maryland accepts 'legal and moral responsibility' for football player who died after practice

I'm curious to see what this really means. Does it mean someone is pleading guilty? Or does "legal and moral responsbitility" just mean writing a check?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:17 pm

The check writing part is a given - it's a University after all.

I'd say it means some of the staff will be getting fired and getting thrown under the bus but I would highly doubt any of those people agreed to allow ass covering school administrators to speak on their behalf in a legal sense.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 am

The Maryland Board of Regents are holding a closed meeting tomorrow. I'd say before Friday is over DJ Durkin is out. And possibly the AD and maybe even the school president.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:10 pm

I'd say Durkin and the strength coach (and perhaps more of the football staff) - that's a given - 100%
The AD : Better than 50%
The Prez - in trouble if he issued that public statement without their sign off - if they Okayed that presser he's OK.