Random Thoughts Again

psu_dad

Re: Random Thoughts Again

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 am

Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:18 am

When I was in my 20s I used to work with this guy who had no ambition. He did his job, did everything he was expected to do, and was out at 5 every single day. He had zero interest in getting promoted and was perfectly content to be a low or mid level drone who left at 5 and went home and spent time with his family. He was a good employee but he was not a star and wasn't jockeying for position. I used to think he was riidculous but, 20+ years later, I think he was on to something.

The problem is that guys like that have a hard tim surviving. Large corporations are built on people like that. There are hundreds of thousands of people who show up at 8:30, leave at 5, and have no interest in doing anything more. Companies can't survive without them. But, those people have also become very expendable. If you are not seen as someone with a future or who can advance you are at risk for being laid off in the non-stop job cutting culture we have. It's definetely become "kill or be killed" in corporate America.

I've been really, really lucky. I've worked very hard, but a lot of people work very hard and don't get to where I am. And, I know a lot of hard working people who have been let go not becuase of any thing they did wrong or because they were not doing a good job but solely because of the number games that gets paid. Wall Street expects our earnings to come in at X and we are not hitting that number. So, we will fire 5,000 people to juice the books. Rinse, repeat. At this point most companies have rolling layoffs where 2X a year, at least, they let some people go. It's a tough way to live and the older I get the more worried about it I am.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am

He had zero interest in getting promoted

I've never had any interest in getting promoted. I don't have the management mentality. I don't want to be held responsible for the performance of others. I want to be held responsible for my performance.

That requires a different type of ambition. I worked hard to stay on top of my game technically, so that I wouldn't be seen as ""just another guy". I wanted to be the guy that project leaders asked for when building a project team. I suppose I pulled it off. I haven't been unemployed for one day since leaving college.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:38 am

You sound like my dad. He never had any interest in being promoted. He just wanted to do his job, do his job well, and go home. And, for the most part it worked out well for him. He was always well respected and was always able to find work from people who knew him. He was out of work at times over the years but that was more a factor of market forces.

My dad initially retired when he turned 63. But, my mom was still working and he was bored once it got cold. So, he went back as a contractor to his old firm and worked until it was spring. He basically worked from October to mid April every year until he was 70. And, they were happy to have him. He came in, did a good job, and left. No noise, no headaches, etc. Just someone who worked. I thought they may resent him leaving when it got warm but they never seemed to.

For me, it's more about the money. I have to be here and even when I was a mere flunky I always put in a lot of hours becuase I had a job that sort of required it. If I am going to work long hours, I may as well be paid for it. And, the path to better pay is getting promoted. And, promotions usually mean managing people. To be honest, I don't mind the people management, but I have a great team. I have some unhappy discussions with the, but, for the most part, I think I get along well with the people who work for me. What I struggle with more is the upward schmoozing I have to do. I spend far more time than I want to having to figure out how to "message" something. It's all about how you present it and how you deliver it. And, there is a lot of politics. I never considered myself much of a politician but one of the ladies who works for me told me recently that I am much better at it than I give myself credit for. I guess I had to be to get where I am. But, I don't like it.

My oldest son is starting college next year and he wants to study something in the sciences. I am strongly encouraging him to stick with a STEM degree. I want him to be able to have a career that is based on his ability to add value vs. his ability to bullshit and smooze, which is really where is father is at right now. I am 50 years old, I probalby have to work 15 more years or so, and it's daunting to think about. Once I get the kids through college I would seriously consider putting my hand up for a demotion.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:52 am

So, he went back as a contractor to his old firm and worked until it was spring.

I was planning to retire later this year. I mentioned that to my barber, who has been my consigliere for 40 years. He thought I was crazy. Him: "You work from home ... 3 days a week ... and they still pay for half your medical coverage and contribute to your 401k. Do you know how many guys your age would kill for that arrangement?"
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:22 am

Another example of political correctness run amok in this country.

A group of idiot, know-nothing, students berated Chelsea Clinton because she had the audacity to condemn the anti-Semitic remarks by racist Congresswoman, Ilhan Omar.

No, Chelsea's comments did not feed into that awful mass shooting in New Zealand. If anything, Omar's comments fueled the continued hatred on all sides.

Jesus Christ, when is this bullshit going to stop?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 3184870002
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:04 am

It's only going to get worse. Across the board, on both political spectrums, we have decreased the value of knowing what you're talking about. These kids were wrong. And even if they believed what they were saying (which I disagree with) they were at best complete buffoons and jerks.

Parts of the younger generation scare me. But I work with them every day and I would say on the whole they scare me less than the aging right does.

So I'm not sure what my point is other than this is stupid, but we don't do a great job of annexing stupidity when we see it but rather we apply our judgement, unfairly to large swaths of people.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I'm still not clear on what Ilhan Omar said that was antisemitic. She made the point that money influences the US support of Israel. I don't think that's the only reason, but do people think she's not fundamentally correct about the corrupting impact of money?

I get the stereotype about Jews and money but that doesn't, or at least shouldn't, mean Jews are immune from a criticism that can be made against anyone trying to buy influence.

I thought blaming Chelsea Clinton for the NZ shootings was moronic but I also thought Clinton herself was wrong.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:05 pm

We're in trouble. I just checked with the guys at the Jewish house and they said that every one of our answers on the psych test was wrong.
Klaatu barada nikto

TheOldlioness

Postby TheOldlioness » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:55 pm

psu_dad wrote:So, he went back as a contractor to his old firm and worked until it was spring.

I was planning to retire later this year. I mentioned that to my barber, who has been my consigliere for 40 years. He thought I was crazy. Him: "You work from home ... 3 days a week ... and they still pay for half your medical coverage and contribute to your 401k. Do you know how many guys your age would kill for that arrangement?"

Whatever you do, build as much fun into your life as possible before circumstances like dealing with elderly parents or health issues limit your choices. The older you get, the faster time moves.