Random Musings

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Random Musings

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Carl Spackler wrote:Mad, better do that before i retire and move in. In fact we have to establish the remote control policy negotiations before my arrival. :)

You make the mistake of assuming I'm in charge of anything in this house. You will be negotiating with the master of the deal in the form of Mrs Mad.. And you darn well better like to watch the Hallmark channel.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Hallmark is fine during commercials on the preferred channel. Tell her we will get along fine. ;)
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:00 am

As far as the draft goes, special congratulations go to Zack Golditch of Colorado State who signed with the Chargers as a FA. Here is a guy who was nearly killed in the Aurora theater shooting several years ago, now he's trying out for an NFL team.

Well wishes to him in whatever he does.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Manslaughter, assault dropped in Penn State frat death case

What a nightmare this entire story is, for everyone involved. 1 kid dead and 5 lives probably ruined because they were really, really stupid. And, it does seem like they were criminally stupid. I'm not sure manslaughter charges are warranted, but there really needs to be consequences. From what I recall, they went out of their way to prevent help from being called for this poor kid.
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue May 01, 2018 4:14 pm

The kid who died was local to my area so there has been a lot of press coverage - and I don't think anyone intentionally set out to harm him - it was an initiation ritual done thousands of times - these people were all buddies.

I think the open reckless endangerment charges fit as it was clear they placed their desire to avoid the consequences for violating drinking / hazing laws above getting this kid to the hospital when he was clearly in need (though I doubt any of them recognized the severity of the need). I would say their negligence rose to a criminal level.

I relayed a while back a similar incident occurred at my fraternity where some guys were partying late (smoking weed / drinking) and was guy took a fall. To his everlasting credit one guy (who was actually somewhat sociopathic) took the guy to the hospital rather than worry about what that lead to in terms of consequences. And he didn't the guy would have died - he had serious injuries and missed the rest of semester but he returned next fall fully recovered.

Problems never get better by ignoring them or trying to hide - you just have to bite the bullet, take the heat and do the right thing. These guys would have clearly gotten into far less trouble had they taken him to hospital.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 01, 2018 4:26 pm

I agree no one intended to hurt the kid. The problem is that, once he was hurt, they engaged in a series of stupid decisions that pretty much sealed his fate and, based on what has been presented to the public, seemed far more concerned with avoiding minor consequences than the health and well being of their friend. Maybe they thought he would be ok. Maybe they really did not know. But, from what I remember reading, it got to a point where it became more about keeping it quiet than helping.

I said criminal stupidity but that's really criminal negligence. They should be held accountable for it. I don't think it's manslaughter, based on what I know about it at least, but it's not nothing.

Like I said - a tragedy for all involved.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:48 am

I want to make a request.

Can we get a blue & white happy face emoji? I like the green one for Eagles material. But since this is a PSU board it seems natural to have a blue and white one (or just blue if they don't have multi-colors).
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 am

I can ask Mark if he can add one.

Melaniacip

Random Musings

Postby Melaniacip » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 am

I hope I dont bely my lack of observation skills, but I couldnt make out what setting this was based on description, or thorough details about the player characters. Is there a list of everyone and what they are? Like a cliffs/summary?

Shane

Postby Shane » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:42 am

Well that was definitely a random musing.