2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 pm

The Saints are a really good team and the Eagles just about backed into the playoffs. They beat a heavily favored Bears team in Chicago. It was a tall order to expect them to do that again in New Orleans. They were not the 2007 Giants who won 3 tough road games to get to the Superbowl afterall.

I am curious to see what happens with Foles now. There are rumors that the Giants could be interested. I have mixed feelings on that, to be honest. I'm not sure he's that much of an improvement over Eli. I think at this point in their respetive careers, Foles is probably the better option. I'm not sure what Eli really has in the tank. I'm just not convined he's a guy a team can expect to play consistently.

Part of me thinks the Eagles will try to keep him because Wentz can't be counted on to stay healthy. But, I seriously doubt he's going to stay in Philly to be a back-up if he's got options to start elsewhere. And, I think he absolutely will have that option. He's a better option than more than a few of the starting QBs around the league.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm

Part of me thinks the Eagles will try to keep him because Wentz can't be counted on to stay healthy.

They may be able to do that for one more year.

Foles has an interesting contract. He and the Eagles have "mutual options" for next year. The Eagles have to make the first decision. If they want Foles for 2019, they have to pay him 20M. If they don't pick up the option, Foles is a FA. If the Eagles do pick up the option, then Foles must make his decision. He can accept the 20M or buy his way out of the contract (and into FA) for 2M.

20M is crazy money for a backup, but the Eagles can afford it because they will still be paying Wentz peanuts (4M) next year.
Klaatu barada nikto

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:49 pm

For whatever reason I thought Wentz was not signed through this year (2019). I would pay Foles the salary to compete with Wentz. Once 2019 ends the Eagles will have to make a lot of decisions.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:20 pm

After being drafted, Wentz signed a 4-year contract that covered the 2016-2019 seasons. I agree the Eagles can probably put off the BIG decision until after next season. They could keep both guys next season for around 24M (total). That's not outrageous for 2 QBs that can both start.

The only thing that could mess that up is Foles declining the 20M he would be owed next season if he stays. He has that option. I'm guessing his agent will be working the phones to see if a better offer is out there.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:43 am

The only thing that could mess that up is Foles declining the 20M he would be owed next season if he stays. He has that option. I'm guessing his agent will be working the phones to see if a better offer is out there.

I think it's a near certainty he's going to opt out. There are a number of teams where he would be a certain improvement over their current starting QB.

Jacksonville needs an upgrade. The Bengals need an upgrade. The Broncos need an upgrade. The Redskins need a quarterback becuase I can't imagine Alex Smith is coming back from that injury. The Raiders seem to want to move on from David Carr. The 49ers need an upgrade. The Giants, Steelers and Chargers all have starting QBs who were drafted in 2004 and are getting to the end. I don't know if the Steelers and Chargers are close to moving on from Roethlisberger and Rivers, but the Giants are on the verge of moving on from Manning.

I don't know if Foles is a better option for all of those teams vs. what they have, but I am fairly confident he's a better option for a few of them. At minimum, the Redskins should offer him a multi year deal greater than what he has with the Eagles becuase of the uncertainty around Smith. And, I can't see how that guy is ever coming back. Last thing I saw was he had an infection and at one point was in danger of actually losing that leg. The idea that he's going to play again seems highly unlikely. That was a life changing injury.

So, I think Foles is gone from Philly. They may want to keep him, but if he has an option to walk, I can't see him hanging on with Philly to be the starting back-up and just waiting for Wentz to get hurt again. On the flip side, The Eagles may want to offer him a longer term deal and dump Wentz given his inabilty to stay on the field. Of the two options, I think that one makes more sense for the Eagles.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:08 am

After seeing FOLES pc last night, I agree.

He is as good as gone.

My nightmare scenario is him signing with the Giants. How can I as a Penn State and Eagles fan root against the Giants when FOLES is handing the ball off to Saquan Barkley???
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 am

I am lousy at predicting the future, but I think it's more likely Foles is a Redskin than a Giant. The Redskins put all their eggs in the Alex Smith basket and that egg broke. The Giants are probably going to fumble around for a few weeks trying to figure out what they want to do whereas I bet the Redskins GM has already called Foles agent.

I won't be totally shocked if he's a Giant or with any of the other teams I mentioned above. But, if I were going to lay a wager, I'd put my money on the Redskins. Foles is familiar with the NFC East already having played against them for a few years, and the Redskins are the only team that really don't have any other option.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:58 am

He is as good as gone.

That seemed to be the consensus of my son's in-laws at Christmas. They're all hardcore (but non-horse-poop-eating) Eagles fans. They're the ones who gave me all the details of Foles' contract. I like them and they've always treated me with respect, at least to my face. So I listened politely and hid the fact that I didn't give a rat's patooty.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:27 pm

psu_dad wrote:He is as good as gone.

That seemed to be the consensus of my son's in-laws at Christmas. They're all hardcore (but non-horse-poop-eating) Eagles fans. They're the ones who gave me all the details of Foles' contract. I like them and they've always treated me with respect, at least to my face. So I listened politely and hid the fact that I didn't give a rat's patooty.

Sure, I wouldn't care either if Tom Brady were the QB here over the past 18 years, or whatever. ;)
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Crowbar wrote:After seeing FOLES pc last night, I agree.

He is as good as gone.

My nightmare scenario is him signing with the Giants. How can I as a Penn State and Eagles fan root against the Giants when FOLES is handing the ball off to Saquan Barkley???

Easy, you root for him him 14 times a year and they you root that someone breaks Foles and Barkley's face 2 times a year. Easy peasy!