2018 NFL Season

Blue&White

2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Needed to start a new NFL thread as things are happening.

Starting with: the Cowboys cut Dez Bryant.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Blue&White » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 am

So, in a blow in defense of mom, apple pie, and the flag, Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid still look like they are not going to be able to get jobs in the NFL. But, you'll all be pleased to know that the NFL will continue to turn a blind eye to players who beat their wives and girlfriends to a bloody pulp. To wit: 49ers' Failure to Promptly Drop Reuben Foster Is Just Another NFL Travesty
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 am

The NFL should use cases like Foster's to illuminate a major social problem and emphasize its severity.

Uhhh ... no.

What they should do is leave criminal matters to the criminal justice system. I knew from Day One that the NFL would regret getting involved with this. It's a lose-lose proposition. And this business of handling these matters case-by-case is fraught with peril. They just leave themselves vulnerable to charges of inconsistency, They've made a Total Sh*t Show of this.

If they wanted to do something to protect their "brand", fine. That's a different matter. But they should have kept it simple and uniform. If someone (ANYONE) gets arrested on charges of a violent crime, they're temporarily suspended until the matter is resolved by the criminal justice system. MLB worked out a uniform policy on this with the player's union. They've had several cases that resulted in suspensions and they don't seem to get 1/100 the grief the NFL does.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 pm

That's the point of this article, though, isn't it? That the NFL should stop pussyfooting about this and just suspend people who have been actually charged. And stop pretending it's not a problem.

I have a former colleague I keep up with who is a bit older than me. He served as a marine in Nam and he has refused to watch since the players started kneeling. My response to him as been "it's entertainment and if you don't want to watch, don't watch". But, he wrote me this morning about the Giants and said he hopes the players stop kneeling so he can watch again. I couldn't help myself and responded with "if they stand for the anthem but still beat the shit out of their wives and girlfriends, you ok with that as a compromise?". He responded back that he didn't understand my point. I let it go. He's a nice guy and I don't want to pick a fight with him, but the whole kneeling thing seemed an odd place for fans to draw the line. The NFL seems to have a serious domestic violence issues, but Colin Kaepernick is the problem. Odd how people set their priorities.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:31 pm

That's the point of this article, though, isn't it? That the NFL should stop pussyfooting about this and just suspend people who have been actually charged.

Actually, the author said the 49ers should have released the player immediately. Not suspended. Released. That's an overly-dramatic response, not a sensible one. So on the one hand, you have the 49ers doing nothing. And on the other and, you have this writer basically saying "Screw due process, Just fire his ass". There has to be a more reasonable approach than either of those.

And yes, if the NFL is going to make this an issue, then they have to stop "pussyfooting" and come up with a system like MLB did. Handling each incident as an individual crisis leaves too much discretion in the hands of the commissioner ... and he's a complete idiot.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 am

I'm aware. The evidence against Foster seems pretty severe and his girlfriend ended up with a ruptured eardrum from him punching her. The 49ers took a chance when they drafted him as it was apparently known that he had violent proclivities. Apparently he picked a fight at the hospital during the NFL combine because he didn't like what the staff was telling him. The NFL sent him home. How many chances does he get?

I agree that the NFL had handled these things horribly over the years and have come up looking like morons most times. We've discussed that several times on this forum. When deflating a football gets you 6 games but punching your wife and keeping a journal on years of systematic abuse get you 1 game (until the public starts screaming) you look like a bunch of morons. There should absolutely be rules put in place that if A happens the result is B. If teams want to start cutting guys on their own that's fine too.

I think a good rule that all the leagues should adopt is this one: if you and your wife/girlfriend are home alone and she ends up in the hospital for any reason that is not clearly an accident (for example - a few years ago while making dinner my wife almost cut her finger off) then you are out for a full season. If this happens half way through the current season, then you sit half way through the next one. A second rule can be that if you and your wife are coming out of an elevator and you are dragging her by the hair because she's unconscious, same thing. No more of "well, we thought she just fainted and he was nicely dragging her out by her hair like a caveman" BS from ownership who doesn't want to lose a star player.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:29 pm

FOLES! FOLES! FOLES! FOLES! FOLES!

Just because.
41-33.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am

Early predictions you can take to the bank.

Overrated Dak Prescott and Ezekiel the Woman Clubber Elliott will continue their descent to mediocrity. And Cowboys fans will continue to gloat about their prehistoric SB titles as if anyone cares.

The Washington Redskins will be officially eliminated from playoff contention by week 3. And Dan Snyder will continue to be a miserable loser.

Eli retires before playing the Eagles out of sheer fear for his life. The rest of the geographically challenged Giants follow suit.

And, of course...

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES SUPER BOWL 53 CHAMPIONS!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Crowbar on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:36 am

If the Giants draft SB on Thursday, I am so buying you and Grower a Giants SB shirt.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 pm

I read Tom Brady's interview with Jim Gray.

What I got out of it was the Brady-Bellichick era is rapidly coming to a close. Enjoy it while it lasts. Say what you want about them, but they were at the forefront of the greatest dynasty in NFL history, bar none. Hell, arguably the greatest dynasty in all of sports, considering they had to deal with the cap and all.

With that said, was there ever an explanation why Malcolm Butler didn't play in the SB?

Also, please Tom, don't talk how you feel "unappreciated." This guy has the greatest life in the world. He's the greatest NFL player of all time. He's played in 8 Super Bowls, and won 5 of them. AND he is married to a supermodel, for Pete's sake. I would gladly feel unappreciated for all that.
41-33.